𝗙𝗼𝗿𝘁𝘆 𝗘𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁

Warnings: none

Warnings: none

Words 1058

Asleep

"Breakfast!" Someone called as a bell rang.

Tyler jolted his head up, squinting his eyes before looking over towards Jenna. His arm was tucked under her head, and Rosie was beside her in her small cot.

He felt an unsettling feeling spread through his stomach. He still was quite hurt by him and Jenna's talk the night before. Although they said everything they wanted to, he still felt like it was unfinished.

It didn't take long for Jenna to open her eyes and stretch, throwing her arms behind her head as she pressed her head down into the pillow and yawned.

She then rolled over into Tyler's chest, rubbing her hand on his stomach. They had also decided to let it go, and to learn to trust each other, because that's all they could really do. It was useless to hold a grudge and to keep fighting about it, because that wouldn't take them anywhere.

But no matter how much Tyler craved Jenna's touch, he still felt uneasy about the whole situation.

"Get Rosie up. We'll go get some breakfast." Tyler patted Jenna's forearm, and she took a deep breath, yawning as she twisted herself over towards Rosie.

She mumbled a small, "okay," before carefully slipping her arms under Rosie. "You can go ahead, I'm going to feed her."

Tyler nodded, crawling out of the tent.

He saw many people walking towards the heart of the camp. Smiles on their faces, and yellow bandanna's around their necks.

As he approached the huge fire cooking the delicious meat, he saw Josh and a girl he didn't know laughing together. He decided to stand back and just watch people socialize. He didn't really know anyone at the camp yet.

It didn't take long for Josh to spot him though, and he nodded as he began to walk towards him.

"Hey, man." Josh nudged Tyler's shoulder, and Tyler smiled. "How are you liking the camp now that everything is back to normal?"

Tyler shrugged, "it's fine. I don't know. I'm just glad to be out of dema." If he was honest, he actually didn't feel any different than when he was in dema. He expected to see his family happy and close but it only seemed to give him more responsibility and stress. Of course, he'd never go back to dema. He had explained those reasons thoroughly. He just hadn't had a moment to actually do what he wanted yet. He wanted to take Jenna out on a walk, and sit and watch the stars without being forced back inside their home. He wanted to be able to carelessly lay in bed on Saturdays, without the fear of missing headcount.

He hasn't had that experience yet. And it honestly bothered him.

Josh leaned in, whispering in Tyler's ear. "Can we talk in private?"

Tyler tensed, but he nodded anyways. Josh waved for him to follow as he walked towards the path down the mountain they were camped on. That path lead to the trench, it was also the place the tribe got water.

They walked slow to reduce the risk of Tyler falling and breaking his other ankle. "Jenna called him didn't she?"

Although Tyler was expecting it, he was caught completely off guard. "Wh-why would you think that?"

Josh shrugged, "I had a feeling. You guys haven't been the same since the trial. I mean, I would think you would be all over her since you just got her back."

Tyler sighed, nodding his head. "Yeah, she did."

"Are you mad at her?"

Tyler scoffed, "why do you wanna know, man? Quit it."

"I don't think you should be, you know." Josh continued, ignoring Tyler. Tyler let out a deep breath loudly. "I mean, think about it at her point of view. She sees herself as a fresh mom, and you a fresh dad, who has no idea how to take care of a child. And she sees the world as a huge dangerous place. All she has ever known is dema. And the unknown is scary, especially when it isn't only you you have to take care of."

"You don't have to tell me. I already know this shit." Tyler said annoyed.

"I know you know this, Tyler. But I think you needed to hear it." Josh said, stopping at the bottom of the creek as he reached in a bag, that Tyler just now noticed was on his back, and pulled out a water bottle. "Here, hold this." Josh handed him an empty water container, and Tyler reached down to fill it.

"No, I think she just doesn't trust me." Tyler said, giving up on trying to avoid the subject.

"How do you know that? Did she tell you that?"

Tyler looked up, scoffing softly. "Why would she tell me if she didn't trust me, Josh?"

"Why would she let you lead her out of dema if she didn't?" Josh was quick to reply as if he had memorized a script. After Tyler didn't reply, he continued. "It was just being out here that scared her."

Tyler took a deep breath as he looked down. Josh did have a good point. "It sounds like she trusts Nico more than me." He mumbled quietly, biting the inside of his lip as he thought.

"Do you really think she'd trust someone who has hurt her, taken advantage of her, and threatened to take her baby away, more than her own husband?" Josh asked calmly, matching Tyler's quiet tone. Josh did know about Nico's terrible action that happened in high school. "Yeah, she talked to him. He persuaded her to take that walkie-talkie and give up your location, but that's only because he's the king of persuasion— king of lies. He would've somehow persuaded you too if it was you. I'm sure you could think of ample bribes he could've used."

Tyler actually could. One bribe that stuck out to him was: he could've taken Jenna and Rosie. He would've marched back to dema in a heart beat.

Tyler nodded, "I-I know."

Josh then smiled, "c'mon we don't want to miss the ceremony." And josh then began to jog up the hill leaving Tyler, who wasn't in any condition to run, at the creek.

"Wait, what ceremony?"

◉‿◉

I am sad! It is almost over.