𝗧𝘄𝗲𝗻𝘁𝘆 𝗧𝘄𝗼

Warnings: angst, dramatic

Words 802

◉‿◉

Awake

Jenna abruptly woke to the sound— no, feeling of Tyler shaking beside her. She panicked as she swiftly turned her body over. He seemed to be curled up in a feeble position, the covers flung off of him as his back dripped with sweat. She wasn't sure what was happening. The first thing coming to her mind was some sort of seizure.

She bent over, tilting his chin, which was tucked between his knees, to glance at his expression. He didn't seem to be stiff like seizures were, but he looked as though he was uncomfortable. His face was scrunched together as tears— or sweat— covered his face.

Jenna had never really seen him like that. He hated showing her how sensitive he was, however, it's hard to stay tough when you're mind is asleep and your brain is wondering.

She rubbed his shoulders, placing his hand on her chest beside her heart, which seemed to always calm him. She mumbled sweet things to him as she waited for him to calm down. He seemed to stop shaking pretty quick once he realized Jenna's touch. Jenna had read that whenever someone is having a night terror you never wake them. She didn't really know why, but that's all she remembered from what she read.

◉‿◉

Asleep

Tyler groaned as he lowered himself onto the bed. He laid is bare stomach onto the sheets, letting the cold breeze touch his blistered back. Jenna climbed in beside him, her eyebrows furrowed as they had been ever since Nico released them. She let out a small whiny hum at the sight of his back, slipping off the bed and heading for the kitchen cabinet for some Aloe. Tyler did his best to look behind him towards the small kitchen in interest. "What are you doing?" He mumbled monotone, and Jenna shook her head quickly walking over to his side.

"Just stay still." Jenna instructed, and Tyler's bones tensed at the unknown.

Jenna's aloe-covered fingertips softly touched Tyler's back. Tyler lifted himself, pressing his forehead to the cushioned bed as his lips carried out a 'sh' sound until he finally formed "shit."

He groaned as Jenna's clean hand softly pet the back of his head, "quiet, you big baby. It's supposed to help sunburns; I'm sure it'll cool down your burns too."

Tyler jumped at a certain sensitive spot. "Damnit. Be a little more careful." He sounded annoyed, but it didn't seem to be directed at her.

Jenna sighed, nodding her head. She glided her fingers to his shoulder where no burn would hurt him and squeezed it softly. "You should be more grateful that I'm helping you with this."

Tyler lifted himself so he could interact with Jenna more. "Well, I didn't ask you to." He began, "I didn't ask you to help me. I could've done it on my own." His voice was stern, pronouncing his words with full clarity. Jenna removed her hands from his back, her eyes showing a small hurt expression. However, Tyler's expression was worse. It was full of regret and guilt. His eyes glistened. "He could've hurt you" he managed through an aching chest and a small pressure to his throat, "worse than he did before."

Jenna shook her head, the same hurt expression written over her features. "But he didn't. He hurt you and I have to live with that." She pointed to her chest, not bothering if the aloe got on her shirt.

Tyler nodded, his expressions hard to read. He seemed to be feeling many emotions all at once. Fear, guilt, regret, and most importantly pain. "I could have done it myself. And I have to live with that."

Jenna shook her head, gulping down a small lump that had formed. "Well, I didn't totally fail."

Tyler nodded, slowly turning himself to his side, propping himself up with his elbow. "You didn't fail." He muttered to clarify. He didn't mean to make her feel that way by telling her he could've done better if he just went. He was just frustrated with himself for sending her when the possibility of being taken to Nico was a clear 90%.

Jenna sighed, crawling into her side of the bed once she was finished cleaning up. "I found a trapdoor. It was in the sand and it was right up against the wall. I'm thinking it's the city sewage entrance. And you know, our sewage has to go somewhere and we don't have any place to store it in the city..." She trailed off to let Tyler figure out the rest for himself.

Tyler slowly lifted his lips into a small smile. "Well, then, Mrs. Joseph. The baby is due in three days; we leave tomorrow evening."

◉‿◉

I hope all of this makes sense!