56.

[a/n: it's my birthday!]

(if you find the chapter dramatic, then i'm sorry? well, it's true so 🤷‍♀️)

"My dad hung himself on that tree."

His blue eyes went wide and mouth slack open. The other boy was still pointing at the tree. Louis looked at the tree and flinched. He felt like throwing up.

"I— what?!" He pulled Harry's hand away. "What- What do y-you mean?"

The green eyed was still zeroing his stare at the tree, it felt so eerie. Louis scooted off the window ledge and pulled Harry with him, away from the window, on the bed.

"Harry say something, please!"

The older boy exhaled deeply through his mouth. He looked a little traumatised. "Come here." Louis stepped closer, and Harry pulled him on his lap. "It's not easy,"

"What?" Louis whispered softly. He was confused, why did Harry suddenly reveal something so personal?

"My dad thing."

Harry lied his head on Louis' shoulder and shivered a little. Louis pulled Harry's arms around him and cuddled back to him.

"If you are not comfortable, you don't have to share."

"It's fine. It's actually fine if I open up to someone."

Louis gulped, all this new information was too much for him. Should he invade Harry's life? But Harry's the one who's willing to open up. Being a good boyfriend Louis gave Harry an encouraging smile. "I'm here for you."

Harry licked his dry lips, flicked hair off his eyes and looked back at the tree. "It isn't the fondest memory of mine." He sniffed. "My dad, well— you see, the boys and you think I've always been like this... um no, I wasn't. Y'all came after this mishap in my life, my family's life."

Louis titled his head to look at his boyfriend. The boy had tears cascading down his cheek and his eyes were dull, full of sadness.

"I've been here since the start. I am borned here. My parents were so domestic and in love. But after they had Gemma, conflicts started between them but they loved each other. Then I came, mom told me that dad was the happiest." The curly haired boy whimpered. Louis scooted off his lap and brought him into a hug.

"Harry you don't have to... I- if you...

The older boy shook his head, wiped his tears. The memories were scary, very brutal and didn't end well. Harry sat straight and exhaled heavily. "It- um... everything was good. I remember when I was three, dad would take me and Gemma out there," points at the window. "He taught Gemma how to climb a tree and built a swing for me on the same tree. The tree was full of life until it wasn't..."

"When I turned five, the fights started again, grew intense. Dad became alcoholic, he drank his sorrows away. I remember- this one time he came back home from his office, he was drunk as fuck and as usual they started arguing. Gemma and I were cuddling in my bed when we heard a crash." He closed his eyes and took a deep breath. "Dad had hit mom for the first time. The hits were loud and clear, just like her cries that night."

Harry was now crying silently in his hands and Louis felt helpless.

"After th-that every time they had f-fights, Gemma and I would escape out through this window and stay out there. It used to be so scary, I-I... my five year self understood nothing. I w-would cry for hours in Gemma's arms and being the best sister, she always tried to cheer me up." The boy was looking out, as if still living the old horrible memories. "One day, I made a drawing for h-him, thinking maybe he'll praise me, will be happy." the boy sniffled. "T-That one," he pointed at the page taped to the wall. There were four colored stick figures, vaguely representing Harry's families, with big smiles. "That night when he came back, I ran to my room and brought that drawing to him. He.." Louis' heart ached when Harry sobbed a little in his fist. "He crumbled and threw it across the room. I was so hurt that I-I asked him why he did that and in reply he slapped me."