Over My Heart.

On My Heart.

Cookie's nose wrinkled a little at the green juice Jamal tried to hand her. She'd asked the boy to get her whiskey, but instead, he'd produced this nasty looking mess. That diet drink was reserved for her fat ass husband, all Cookie's extra pounds were going straight to her ass; Thank God. With a nagging thrust of the cup, Cookie sighed loudly and snatched the glass from her middle son with a healthy amount of disdainful side-eye, Jamal smiled and fell into the seat beside her.

"Why you still here?" Cookie questioned. Her son had shown up, unannounced earlier in the afternoon and aimlessly lingered. "Don't you and Kai have plans later?" she inquired, arching an eyebrow.

Jamal wrapped an arm around her, "Mama, don't be like that! You know you love having me around," he teased. Cookie pushed him away, sucking her teeth. Her son laughed. "I'm just gonna wait for Dad to get back, then I'll go."

Her eyebrow cocked up. "Why?" she probed.

Jamal shrugged, feigning nonchalance. "Got some new music for him to listen to."

"Oh yeah?" she remarked. "You gon' show Lucious but not me?" she questioned, mocking offence. She could see her son was lying through his two front teeth as he looked everywhere but at her.

"It's a surprise, Ma," he promised but tapping her glass. "Drink your green juice."

Cookie kissed her teeth. "What you up to, boy?"

"Nothing!" he exclaimed, exasperatedly. Before Cookie could interrogate him more, the front door opened, and her husband's heavy footsteps were heard. When Jamal whispered at, 'this should be good', underneath his breath, Cookie eyed him before rising to her feet to saunter to her husband.

"What did you say?!" Lucious questioned, glaring at Jamal when his wife regarded him with crossed arms and suspicious expression.

"Nothing, Daddy!" Jamal laughed out, childishly.

"Shut up, Jamal." Cookie demanded, sending her son a sharp glower, also. "What you been doing today, Lucious?" she drawled out, daring him to lie to her. Lucious smiled and took her hand, pulling her back into the front room. "If somebody don't tell me what's going on, I'mma beat both yo' asses-"

"Baby," Lucious interrupted. Cookie paused her threats to look at her husband with pursed lips. "Close your eyes."

"Lucious-"

"Cook, just trust me. Close 'em."

Reluctantly, she closed her eyes with a hand impatiently propped up on her hip. He was imagining all the stupid shit her husband could've done. It had to be something outrageous considering her son's reaction. The boy had dissolved back into a child with all the giddiness and excitement.

"Can I open my eyes now?" she whined, petulantly.

"Yeah, baby."

When she uncovered her eyes, a giggle slipped past her lips before she smacked her hands over her mouth in disbelief. "Oh my, God," she muttered. "Jamal turn that damn camera off, boy," she snapped when she noticed the flashlight shining in her direction. "Lucious..." she trailed, stunned, as she reached out and gently touched the tattoo over his chest.

"Whatchu think?"

"I think you're an idiot," she laughed out. Her fingertips slowly traced the tattoo. "Loretha." She shook her head. "I can't believe you got my name tattooed on your chest."

"Over my heart." He corrected, taking her hand.

She smiled, softly. "It's beautiful."

His mouth upturned into a grin. "So you like it?"

She nodded with a giggle. "Yes, Lucious," He kissed the back of her hand and sighed with relief. "Just don't expect me to get yo' name tattooed on my body, because it ain't happening."

"Is that a challenge?" he retorted, arching up an eyebrow as he pulled her closer. "You know when I get you in that bed, you gon' be agreeing to everything-"

"OK!" Jamal exclaimed, jumping to his feet. "That's my cue!"

"Bye, baby." Cookie called out, though her eyes never left her smirking husband's face as he slowly trailed his gaze down her body, lighting her up inside.

"Bye, Ma!"

"Now, what were you saying about a challenge?" Cookie questioned, smiling coyly up at him.

"Lemme show you," he announced before tossing her over his shoulder and marching them up to the bedroom with Cookie's laughter echoing throughout the house.

-

just a short thing.