Chapter 21: The Bird Has Left the Cage

Evan's POV

For what seemed like an eternity still, I've only been inside the cabin. What was strange about it all was Delirious. Ever since the night I-...murdered Bryce, he's been different. He'll let me out of my cell and often let me stay on the couch upstairs. Often as well, he would bring me food and water. It would a bliss to have now.

He hasn't said a word to me since the moment at the cell door. All he has ever been was silent. It was all strange.

Sometimes, I tried my best to talk to him even if it had a consequence. They never did though. All times I called him names or smack talked him, Delirious wouldn't even look in my direction.

The times I spent looking at him, seeing what he'll do in silence, he would just be reading things from the folders or be hurting himself. In his hands, Delirious would be swinging his knife back and forth. It never ended as he started.

I didn't understand anything anymore.

I thought he was- nice...? I don't know how else to describe it. He did nice things for me and didn't expect anything back.

Nothing made sense anymore.

Currently, I'm in my cell. Laying down against the floor, I had my back against the door. Now, I just wanted to test something. It's been on my mind for a while so I've decided to take another risk.

Without saying a word, I silently closed my eyes and continued to wait. To make things more realistic, I mimicked my snoring.

A few minutes past and have my ear to the floor, I heard his familiar footsteps coming closer. It was not so surprising as I heard the door creak open and his footsteps continued.

I tried my best to not be so curious and open my eyes. For a while, I've wanted to see what he'll do if I was asleep. I knew it had to be something to do with my injuries. The stitches and wrappings don't make any sense still.

I've haven't tried anything until now because of the timing. He brings me back downstairs normally at 10:30 pm. I kept watching the clock that was against the wall upstairs. After that, I fall asleep, waiting for the next day to come. During those times, I don't have any clue about what goes on. That is until now.

His footsteps stopped close to me. Delirious is right behind me and I know it.

My eyes open in shock as he was starting to lift me up from the floor. Soon, from the feeling, my head was placed on his lap and his hands reached for my clothes. As his cold hands pressed against my lower waist, I slightly flinched at the touch.

I didn't know if he knew. Yet this far, I can't risk anything to lose it all.

Still, my eyes were closed and that's when things were becoming worse. His hands began to lift up my shirt and soon it went over my head. Just then, I heard his heavy sigh shiver close to my ear.

How close is he?

Gently, Delirious reached his hands under my back to lift me up from his lap. He placed my body down to the floor again and I heard his footsteps again. He was going farther down and eventually, I felt his hands again.

They were moving up from my feet to raise my jeans. Lightly as he could, Delirious was raising them up, ruffling them together. My body flinched again and it was more obvious as the jeans were lifted over my knees. Luckily, the bandages covered the bullet wounds but it still hurt.

The feeling of my bandages was suddenly becoming undone and soon both of them were off. For some reason, they made me feel secure and safe. Like they were saving me from dying.