Chapter 23: Past and Present

Ryan's POV

"You are my one and only," he said to me softly with a smile. His fingers crossed with mine and he clutched to me tightly. Gently, I found his head on my shoulder as he sat beside me.

Evan had a calm smile on his face as he glanced at me.

It made me feel guilty to have to be the bearing of bad news. I couldn't bring myself to curl a smile on his face, to make him happy.

"Evan, you know I'm graduating right?" After I said that, he immediately let out a hum in acknowledgment.

"I know," his soft voice said back to me. "But I want to be with you still. Maybe I can drop out of school and be with you when you go to college."

That's when I had to draw the line even for how bad it hurt.

"You are a freshman, Evan. At least finish school and think smartly about what you truly want." I didn't want to be mean at all. But Evan was thinking of something so risky for his future.

"I want to be with you," he mumbled calmly. His hand clutched harder to mine. "I don't really like people here and you are my only source of happiness at this point."

My eyebrow raised in a way of confusion. "What do you mean? What about Tyler? You told me you two were best friends since preschool." Looking down at his expression, I saw Evan's lips pucker in sadness.

"He's busy with school and I don't want to take him away from that. He seems to be focused and better off without me. Plus since I held us back a year, his parents don't exactly approve of our friendship anymore."

"And what about those boys you came friends with? What are their names? Marcel and Scotty?"

A scoff came from his mouth so suddenly. It's unlike him to act like this. Letting out a chuckle, Evan weakly says, "Scotty isn't exactly the problem but Marcel is. He's homophobic and doesn't associate himself with 'gays'. If he found out about us, he'll bully both of us and it'll spread to your college."

That's a big assumption but...I can agree to an extent. From the times I saw Evan with him, he wasn't exactly nice. I hear him talk horribly about some people in school. Brian and Brock are his new victims and they get bullied horribly by him.

Evan's cheek rubs shyly against my shoulder and I sighed. "It's better than being alone," I suggest, trying to sound positive. "Plus, being by them, it makes things simpler for you. They don't bother you so you'll be away from their shit list."

"I haven't heard you curse in a while," he giggles. "It's funny to hear."

"You never curse," I let out. "It's good not to become like that. It's a funny but bad habit to have."

He agrees by nudging his head as a nod. "I know which is why I won't curse a lot now or ever."

"Good," I smile as I say that. Calmly, I stand up and started to let go of his hand. Surprisingly, I was tugged backward slightly and I turn to see Evan clutched to me still. His face wasn't pointed in my direction which wasn't good.

"Ry, I want to come with you..."

I close my eyes momentarily and opened them as I sighed again. "Ev, it's best if you stay-." "No, it's not," he shouted at me suddenly.

I got startled by that but silently paid attention to him. Evan's eyes open wider in surprise and he looks at me. "I'm sorry," he begins to say. "But I...I just don't want to. My mom doesn't want me around and I can tell because of her language to me. The negativity is getting worse every day and I just want to be away from it! With you, I can be calm and I don't have to cry anymore. I feel happy with you. I'm overjoyed."