♥︎ Chapter Three

𝐡𝐚𝐲𝐨𝐨𝐧

𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚗𝚎𝚡𝚝 𝚍𝚊𝚢

Mikyung had school early in the morning and we had to practice earlier than usual. We dropped Mikyung off to Hanlim and then we went to the company building. Yeona told today that The Boyz has a different schedule from us today so I don't have to worry about bumping into Juyeon. I was so relieved when she told me this.

The reason why I was so shocked and instantly ran away when Juyeon showed the invitation is because it's actually my mom's birthday. I had no idea that Juyeon's parents and mine were friends in high school. I only found out when I saw the guest list and saw Juyeon's name on it.

𝚏𝚕𝚊𝚜𝚑𝚋𝚊𝚌𝚔

I was back in my family's company building. I was wearing a fancy dress and heels. Every time I walked by anyone, they would greet me politely and ask me if I needed anything. It was great treatment and it's not something I'm not used to, but it was unnecessary.

My mom's birthday is soon and she's turning 50 this year so she wants to have this big birthday ball. She's been planning this all year and she wants it to be perfect. Her whole idea was for it to be a masquerade ball and me sing live in front of everyone. I wanted to see who the guests are before agreeing to her idea of me singing for her.

"Mom." I entered her office quickly.

"Yes, sweetheart?" My mom looks up from what she's doing.

"Can I see the guest list for your party?" I ask, she nods and turns the computer around.

I take a good look and read everyone's names slowly and carefully. So far it's just my family friends so I have no problem with singing in front of. Then I get to the bottom of the list.

"LEE JUYEON?" I yell in shock, my mom widens her eyes and nods.

"Do you know him? Your dad and I were friends with his parents in high school." My mom smiles and turns the computer back around.

"Mom, he's in the same company as me." I say, still shocked.

"Oh! What a coincidence! Don't worry about the singing, you'll have a mask on, what's the big deal?" My mom stands up and comes to stand next to me.

"Don't worry, okay? I will do anything to make you comfortable. Do you want Juyeon there?" She asks, putting her arms around me.

"It's not that I don't want him there, it's just that I don't want him to know about all this rich stuff and me being a princess." I pout, my mom smiles and kisses my cheek.

"Sweetheart, you have a mask on. If you don't want to, you don't have to sing." My mom says.

"No, I'll sing for you, mom. I'm just scared he'll find out." I say.

"You don't have to worry. Just wear your mask on all night and he won't notice." My mom says, I nod.

𝚎𝚗𝚍 𝚘𝚏 𝚏𝚕𝚊𝚜𝚑𝚋𝚊𝚌𝚔

Even though I'm going to be wearing a mask, I can't let him know it's me. He can probably identify my voice when I'm singing. But Juyeon is gullible, I could tell him that someone else probably sounds like me and he'll believe me. My hands are sweating and that only happens when I'm nervous. Hopefully he won't recognize me.

"Why are you so deep in thought, Hayoon?" Yeona pulls me aside to ask.

"I'm not." I reply, she frowns at me because she knows something is bothering me.

"Talk to me. What's bothering you?" She asks. Neither of my members know my family and what they do for a living, so I can't tell her that it's a big, glamorous party.

"My mom wants me to sing for her birthday party but I'm embarrassed because um... there's this family friend who's gonna be there and I just..." I try to lie to her but make it as similar to what's actually happening.

"I see. Do you like him?" She asks, smiling.

"Yeah, but I know I can't. It's masquerade ball but I'm scared that he's gonna find out that I'm an idol." I say. This sounds similar, right?

"I see. Well you can always keep your mask on and tell them that maybe it's a coincidence that person just sounds like you." Yeona replies, I nod and she hugs me.

"You got this, Hayoon. Just be confident." She says, holding me tightly.

We finally began practice after Yeona and I talked. We currently don't have an upcoming comeback scheduled, but we want to practice our vocals and dancing. For vocals, we'll take turns singing any song on the karaoke machine and whoever gets the highest score chooses what we get to eat for lunch. Whoever gets the lowest score has to pay for everyone. For dance, we all choose a random choreography of another group to learn and we learn it. If it's hard, we'll take about 4-5 hours to learn but it's it's easy, it will only take about 1-2 hours.

Yeona was up first and she decided she's going to sing "Fine" by Taeyeon. She ended up with a score of 83. Jangmi sang "Playing With Fire" by Blackpink and ended up with 90. Calista sang "Spring Day" by BTS and scored an 80. It was finally my turn to sing and I decided that I would sing "Really Like You" by IZ*ONE. I ended up getting a 98. Lastly, Hyojoo sang "Put It Straight" by (G)I-DLE and got a 92. That means I got the highest score and Calista got the lowest.

I decided that I want to have ramen for lunch, so we ordered the ramen to go and Calista paid for it. While we waited for our food, we decided on which dance to learn. Hyojoo suggested that we learn a The Boyz choreography and everyone agreed. We all agreed on "DDD".

"All of us will have to learn two members then. We won't learn much right now because Mikyung is still in school but we should at least get the chorus down." Yeona says, we all agree.

"Changmin and Juyeon are the main dancers. Hyunjae, Haknyeon, and Eric are the lead dancers. So Calista and Hayoon decide which one you want to take between Changmin and Juyeon. And Jangmi, Mikyung, and Hyojoo can decide between Hyunjae, Haknyeon, and Eric." Yeona says, looking at their positions.

"Hayoon, take Juyeon." Calista scoots closer to me and teases.

"Are you sure you don't want to take Juyeon? He has a dance break you know." I ask, she shakes her head and smiles.

"If they find out we're practicing their song, he's gonna love that fact that YOU are covering his part." Calista smiles, I look at everyone else's face and they're basically saying the same thing.

"Fine." I sigh and they all celebrate.

Everyone chooses their members and I end up with Sangyeon and Juyeon. For the learning part, we separate ourselves and learn the dance by ourselves to get the hang of it for the first 30 minutes. Then we come back together as a group and learn together or get parts that we didn't get. Yeona had the practice room and the rest of us had to find empty rooms. I went to the same room I was doing my MiYoon VLive in yesterday.

To be honest, I knew this whole dance already so I kind of have an advantage. However, I forgot a lot of it and I'm gonna have to refresh my memory. I was watching a focus of Juyeon first because I think he has the hardest parts. I wanted to watch the focus first, then learn it to get the hang of it. Someone knocked on my door, making me think the 30 minutes are over.

"It's only been two minutes? Come in." I say, my back towards the door.

"If you need help with that, I can teach you." I hear Juyeon's voice behind me. I pause the fancam and close my computer.

"Why do you always do that?" I ask, looking down.

"Because I want to talk to you. Do you have an answer?" He asks, bending down to meet my eyes.

"To what?" I ask, looking away again.

"To be my date to the masquerade ball."