♥︎ Chapter Twelve

𝐣𝐮𝐲𝐞𝐨𝐧

This is my chance, she's finally alone and I can talk to her. She has a mysterious vibe to her, just like Hayoon. A lot of people have taken off their masks, but she's been wearing hers for two hours now. It was already 9pm and the ball had just begun basically. A lot of people were already drunk and dancing like crazy on the dance floor. I went to talk to the daughter of the birthday girl.

"Hey." I say, smiling.

"Hi." She responds, smiling as well. I still had my mask on, but I want to take it off so she can do the same.

"What's your name?" She asks, shaking. Why is she shaking? She acts so much like Hayoon and sounds like her when she sang too. And from the little things she says to me, I already know her voice and I could recognize it from my heart and from anywhere.

"Juyeon. Lee Juyeon. I'm guessing you're Hwayoung?" I ask, she nods. She looks like Hayoon too. Maybe this is what happens when you like someone, everything and everybody reminds you of them.

"Yes." She replies and smiles. She has a different personality from Hayoon, so my suspicions stopped. They were playing a slow song and all the couples, including my parents, started slow dancing.

"May I have this dance?" I ask, offering her my hand.

"Sure." She smiles even bigger, taking my hand. I lead her to the dance floor. I have my left arm around her and my right hand is holding hers. I take the lead and she follows me.

I was looking at their the whole time. She has beautiful big eyes, a nice nose, and pretty lips. She was smiling and looking at me too. She looks so much like Hayoon and she's the same height in heels. She can't be Hayoon. How would she even get to this party? She's with her parents right now, taking care of them. There's no way she's at a ball, dancing with me and having fun. Hwayoung is beautiful, she's just not Hayoon.

We were so into the dance that we didn't notice we were the only ones on the dance floor. The song was still playing, but it was just us on the dance floor. We got closer to each other. When the song ended, we stood there, looking at each other for a second, then she walked back to her table. The DJ played a new song and soon I was in a crowd of some drunk and some sober people. I pushed away from the crowd and went back to her.

"Yes?" She looks up at me.

"Can I talk to you?" I ask, she nods and I take her hand. I lead her back to where her and her cousin were earlier.

"What do you want to talk about?" She asks, I place my hands in my pockets and look down. I had nothing to talk about with her, I just wanted to talk to her.

"How old are you?" I ask. I know that my mom asked her this question earlier, but I didn't really hear her answer because she was so quiet. Hayoon is quiet like that too.

"I'm 21, how about you?" She asks. She's a year younger than me, just like Hayoon is.

"I'm 23. What do you do for a living? Are you still in school?" I ask, she hesitates to answer.

"Um... yeah! Uh, I'm still attending college." She replies, looking away from me. She acts exactly like Hayoon. The only difference is the name and she talks more than Hayoon.

"That's cool. What do you major in?" I ask.

"Business." She replies quickly, I nod. Hmm, maybe she's not Hayoon after all. Hayoon doesn't look like the type of girl to study business. She looks like she would study journalism or theater or something.

"What's your surname?" I ask, I can tell she started sweating. Is it hot in here? Maybe for her since she's been running around since 4pm maybe to help her parents.

"Jung." She responds, I nod. Hayoon's surname is Won, which isn't really common in Korea. There isn't a K-Pop idol that I know other than Hayoon that has that surname. Her name is Jung Hwayoung then.

"Where do you study?" I ask.

"Uhhh.... Dongduk Women's University." She responds, and I nod. Either she's lying or she really goes to that university. I'm still suspicious that she's Hayoon, but I believe Eric when he told me that she's out with her parents right now. However, I have no idea of knowing if these are her parents or not.

"You study business, yet your voice sounds like Hayoon from my sister group, Primrose. Do you know her?" I ask, she doesn't hesitate at all this time, she nods and smiles. She looks uncomfortable though.

"I like Primrose." She looks up at me and smiles. I smile too, looking back at the big crowd dancing in the middle. I've never seen my parents so happy.

"Me too. Hayoon is the prettiest, has the best voice, and is the best dancer." I blurt out, forgetting that there's a chance I could be talking to Hayoon right now.

"I like them all." She responds quickly. She looks away from me and I try to look into her eyes. From her side profile, I can tell that it's Hayoon. Maybe I'm just imagining things. This is what happens when you like someone, right? They're all you can think about and all of a sudden everybody looks like them.

"Why did you major in business? You have such a beautiful voice, you could be an idol." She shakes her head.

"I majored in business because I had nothing else I wanted to do, and thank you." She looks up at me and smiles, I smile at her too.

"Why haven't you taken off your mask? A lot of people took theirs off then put it back on but I haven't seen your whole face yet." I say, coming closer to her face.

There were a lot of moments of awkward silence, but when we were talking, it felt so short but it's already 11:50. My parents want to leave until all of their high school friends left which is probably going to be later than 12am because of how long they haven't seen each other.

Before I leave though, I have to know if this is Hayoon or not. I can't leave with this mystery girl on my mind. She reminds me so much of Hayoon. From her face to her height to her voice. I might be wrong but I also might be right.

"Hey, you have something on your face." I say, she turns towards me. I take off her mask and it IS Hayoon! I knew it!

"Hayoon!" I smile and try to hug her, but she pushes me away and runs out the door. It was already 12am, I had so much energy knowing that I was right this whole time. I chased after her and she was waiting at the elevator. Once she saw me, she ran for the stairs, I followed her again.

"Hayoon! Please!" I yell behind her, she doesn't stop running, even in her heels.

"Hayoon!" I yell again, then I trip and one of her shoes' straps break, leaving it on the stair. She keeps running while I'm laying on the stairs.

She was already too far and I was exhausted from running after her then going up all of these steps. How high is her room? I picked up her shoe and gave up on chasing her, I went back to the ball and sat down in my seat.

I knew it.