♥︎ Chapter Twenty

𝐡𝐚𝐲𝐨𝐨𝐧

𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚗𝚎𝚡𝚝 𝚍𝚊𝚢

It was the weekend and I was with my parents. Of course, I was dressed in a fancy, tight dress with heels and my parents were dressed up as usual. We were only having brunch together yet they made me dress up like this. I took the weekend off and lied saying I needed to visit my parents again when in reality, we're doing nothing. I love my parents more than anything in the world, but I don't understand why they make me take the whole weekend off just to dress up and do nothing at their company building.

We were at a fancy restaurant and we were waiting for our food. My parents usually don't call me out like this, yet they did and they're not saying anything. I mean, they didn't look like they had something to say, so I started the conversation anyways.

"Mom, dad. Why did you request for me to take the weekend off?" I ask, my parents look at each other and smile.

"We just want to be with our daughter." My mom says, I let out a little laugh.

"It felt great last weekend being with you, especially at your mother's party. We won't do this every weekend, but we missed you." My dad continued, I smile at them.

"So, how have you been?" My mom asks, holding my hand from across the table.

"I've been good. I'm happier these days." I say, they smile at me.

"That's good, I'm glad you're happy, sweetheart. What's making you so happy? Being an ambassador for Etude House?" My mom asks.

"Yeah... yeah that." I respond, drinking my orange juice.

"Have you found a boyfriend yet?" My dad asks, I almost spit out my drink.

"What kind of question is that? She's too young for a boyfriend and she just debuted." My mom frowns at my dad and lightly hits him, he laughs and holds her hand.

"Honey, she's not that young. She's old enough to make her own decisions." My dad says to my mom, she sighs and nods.

"She's our only child, you know." My mom reminds my dad, he nods and laughs. This would be a good time to tell them about Juyeon, but I don't want to bring it up too soon without telling him.

"What about Junhee's son... what's his name? Hyunmin? He's handsome and his father is the chairman of the hotels in Busan. Did you meet him at the party?" My dad suggests, my heart aches. He's suggesting guys to me... ones that come from wealthy backgrounds. This isn't good.

"He's dreamy. But he might not be fit for Hayoon. Jiwoo told me that he's not a good student." My mom says to my dad, he sighs.

"What if I dated someone who's not from a wealthy background? It's hard to find someone who's wealthy and smart let alone someone you're familiar with.." I blurt out, my parents freeze.

"Hayoon. We all watched a lot of romance dramas back when you were still a trainee, right? And we all know the stereotypical strict, rich parents. Listen, honey. We don't want to be like that, but as time passed by, your father and I found that those parents do have a point. You know that your father and I are very protective of you... so we can't let you be with just anybody." My mom says, holding my hand the entire time.

My heart starts to crack. Why? Why do they have to be like this? Don't they want me to be happy? "Just anybody"? You know Juyeon's parents. Just because he's not from a wealthy family doesn't mean he's not the right one for me.

The food came and I immediately started eating. We all ate slowly and quietly. My heart was in pain the whole time. You know that feeling when you get hurt by someone's words so much that you can feel it? That's how I felt right now with my mom's words about my future boyfriend. Why can't I date whoever I want? I told my dad beforehand that I don't want an arranged marriage and if I don't find somebody by the time I'm 25, then he can arrange someone to marry me. I'm already 21 and I have four years left. How will I make them approve of Juyeon?

Once we were done with the food, we went to the mall. My mom needed to do return some bags, shoes, and clothes that she bought but didn't end up using. Usually, she would give them to me, but I didn't want them. I was annoyed at my parents, but at the same time, I get them. I'm their only child and they're strict with me for a reason. They're not as strict as some of the stereotypical rich people in the dramas, but they are still pretty strict.

I could be friends with whoever I want, as long as they don't know my secret about my social class and what my parents do for a living. They're not picky about who I'm friends with, but they're picky about who I date. To them, the first person I date is the person I'm going to marry. I haven't even thought about marrying Juyeon since we just started dating. But one day, you know? Hopefully one day Juyeon and I will have a happily ever after.

While we waited for my mom, my dad and I walked around the mall. He was suggesting stores for me to go into but I wasn't in the mood to shop right now. So, we sat down on a bench in silence. I was deep in my thoughts the whole time. All I want is for my parents to approve of Juyeon. He may not be in the same social class as me, but he makes me happy and that's all that should matter, right?

"Sweetheart, why are you so deep in your thoughts?" My dad breaks the silence and places his hand on top of mine.

"It's nothing." I say, he sighs.

"I apologize for pushing you to date. It was my mistake. I forgot that you're still a rookie and your image still means a lot to you. You don't have to if you're not ready. But when you do date, you have to remember that he must be ri-"

Before my dad can finish his sentence, I get up and run to the nearest exit. Tears were falling from my face and I ran until I couldn't anymore. I was in the middle of the parking lot and I called Yeona. She picked me up in 20 minutes and brought me back to the dorm. The whole car ride, she kept asking me what was wrong and why I was crying. I kept silent and just stared out the window.

Why does it matter whether or not my boyfriend is rich or not? Whatever social class Juyeon is in, I will always like him. I can't lose him, there's nothing my parents can do to change my mind.