chapter 1✿

Before I start I just want to quickly state that all ideas are my own. Any that may relate to other stories is purely coincidental.

Quick AN okay so I know Australia's summer is like December to march or something like that but I'm from Canada and our summer is June to August so I'm going to be going off those months. so if your summer is different from those months than just pretend okay thanks friends!

Is the person you are now, the person you want to be remembered by once you're gone? Are you proud of what you've achieved, or do you change the topic when someone asks what your accomplishments are in life? Sometimes, you need to take a break from the life you normally live, so you can appreciate it more. That's exactly what I'm doing.

A divorce really does affect every single person in a family. When my mother and father ended their marriage I was still in year 8. It was a lot to process and it made everything that much worse when my Mum left Melbourne and took my brother with her. What hurt the most was that she didn't only leave Melbourne behind, she left me.

For a while it was just my Dad and I. But once he started to dedicate his every waking moment to his job, our relationship was practically nonexistent. It wasn't until my school called my dad to let him know I would be suspended for missing twenty-two consecutive days that he finally took an interest in me again. He blamed himself, and to be honest I kind of did too. Even though he wasn't noticing me for the right reasons, I was at least happy he noticed me at all. I thought the worse I got, the more attention my Father would give me. I was right, but now I realize it's not something I want. I miss who I used to be.

My Dad and I decided it would be best to spend my summer break in Sydney with my Mum and Brother. And even though I was so angry at my mother for leaving me behind, I want nothing more than to just see my family.

"You'll be fine on your own right sweetie?" My father asks me as we sit waiting to hear my flight be called.

"Yes, Dad. I'll be fine. You're the one who's making me go anyways, so you shouldn't be worried." I lie. I want to go just as bad as he wants me to go.

"May, I thought you wanted this too?" He asks me, sudden confusion washing over his face.

"I do, Dad. Well, sort of. Don't get me wrong I can't wait to see Mum and Mikey but, I'm gonna miss my friends." I say.

It was true. I would miss the few good friends I had. I hung out with a lot of people, but none of them truly cared for me expect my best friend, Aubrey and my boyfriend, Ian.

"I know sweetie, but you'll see them in 2 months. Try to enjoy this trip." He says.

I nodded my head and pulled out my phone, replying to the few texts I had from Ian. I put my phone back in pocket when I heard the P.A system say, "Flight 206 to Sydney is now boarding." I quickly gathered my bags and turned to face my dad.

"Well, this is it." He says as he pulls me into a tight hug.

"Yeah. Well, I'll see ya." I say as I pull away from the hug. I begin to make my way over to the boarding line and wait for what what feels like forever until I finally get to the front of the line and give the smiling woman my boarding pass before she guides me where to go.

I follow the long hallway until I get to the plane. I quickly find my seat and put my bag into the above compartment. I went to close it but it wouldn't budge.

"Need some help there?" A voice says from behind me.

"No, I got it. Thanks." I say without turning around, as I continued to struggle.