14

you know that feeling you get when you feel like your unstoppable. that's how i felt recently.

it made no sense to me, but if you asked me how i felt around this time last year, i'll tell you not good. and i usually got really bad seasonal depression.

yes it's a real thing. but i just was happy.

it was chilly out today and although it'd never snow here, it was starting to feel more and more like christmas. with the town putting up the lights and the radio stations playing it on the radio, it was a good way to release some serotonin.

i stood by my locker and felt a poke on my side, "hey lei."

i turn around seeing rue, "hey what's up?"

"good. just checking up on you cause i know your parents are leaving out of town again so i wanted to make sure you were alright," rue says and i nod my head.

"nah i'm good. but i need you to know, you and kat are on call, in case i see a shadow in my kitchen again," i smile.

she laughs gently shaking her head putting her hands in the pockets of her oversized burgundy hoodie. "of course," she says as she gets called down the hall by lexie, "i'll see you later ok?"

"ok, bye rue," i turn back to my locker grabbing my binder for my next class before closing it and made my way over to my spanish class.

i hadn't seen kat this morning, so my day was pretty bland. although i've been the new girl for over a month already i still hadn't made much friends. i didn't have any glasses with rue, and although lexie's really sweet i only had art with her.

i walked down the hall way and felt an arm pull me into a class and i smiled, expecting to see nate. but when i turned around and seen it was kat my smile faded a little bit. "hey what's going on?"

"i need you to tell me the truth. okay? cause some kid from saint mary's is literally going around messaging me on every social media app to tell me you fucked a teacher at your old school," kat says and it all leaves her mouth so quickly it takes me a minute to comprehend.

i roll my eyes, "no it's not true kat." i cross my arms across my chest, letting out a small laugh.

fuck. right now i wanted to panic. to yell or scream but i knew there was no evidence of this accusation no one knew if it was true or not.

kat reads my face and quickly wraps her arms around me, "i knew it wasn't true, you're basically so innocent and pure. you could never do that."

"you know i tell you everything from my past. i'm an open book," i say hugging her back.  i mean i wasn't technically lying. kat and rue knew a bunch about my past, it was just the current things i tended to lie about.

she nods, before pulling away, "god men are so evil spreading lies about stupid stuff. especially the private school ones cause you know i dealt with it. i mean that's why you must have left right."

"no i was kicked out for bad grades and for telling my principal to go fuck himself," i say with a shrug.

kat raises an eyebrow, "i think you became my new hero," she says linking an arm with me. "let's go to lunch and you can tell me all about the badass you are."

————

nate and i met at my house after school and then he drove me to the dance school. he opened the door and helped me out of his truck.

we walked into the building and i smiled, "hey lila," i say walking over to the front desk, "i'm here for the costume fitting."