18

( lei's pov )

the recital was today and the only thing i could think about how much i wanted to out shine each and every dance student. how i wanted to make sure that everyone's eyes were on me even if they came for some else. their eyes would never leave me.

i knew i wanted to have that affect on them, to be the one they record instead of their own child. the one they watch, and we're intoxicated over. soaking in my every movement. when it was me out there it'd be like i'm the only one.

i sat in front of the mirror as i carefully combed my hair back into a low bun. making sure it was secure before hair-spraying it back. i ignored all the other girls who giggled as they got ready. i wasn't like those girls this was serious, to me.

i placed the white feather head piece on, making sure it was perfect on my head. i wasn't ever nervous but i was anxious. anxious to get on the stage. anxious to impress.

i did the simple brown smokey eye on my lids, put on some lip oil and did my face makeup flawlessly.

"lei, tutu on you are on in 5." the stage director says and i nod looking in the mirror doing my finishing touches and then walking over to the stage corner where they put my tutu on, tightening it so it was fitted to my body.

"you got this," was all i heard from raven before i tip toe out on the stage. i ignore the lights and just focus on myself and the music, as i begin to dance putting on my face.

i was dancing with kaleb, and made sure to keep in sync never losing focus of myself.

i danced like i had never danced before. it was like the room was full of darkness and the spotlight was just on me.

when it was over the curtains closed and i felt like my lungs were filled with air once more. then i heard the applause from the audience and i felt blood coursing through my veins.

i felt infinite.

i walked to the side of the stage. the curtain arose and they began to announce each ballerina and dancer and finally it got to me.

"lei kimberly stone as odette and odile."

i walked out to the stage a smile on my face as the room filled with applause and i felt tears in my eyes, from the accomplishment. i didn't think i'd get this. that'd i would be the star of this recital because of what happened 10 months ago.

here i was basking in my glory as i bowed, thanking the crowd as tears streamed down my face. they wouldn't know the struggles i had gone through to be here. to be one of the best at one of the most prestigious ballet schools.

i looked around searching for my parents seeing them so extremely proud of me. i blew them a kiss and noticed nate was with them and my smile grew larger. i did one last bow before making my way off stage.

"that was beautiful, lei." raven says hugging me. "you were perfect."

i hug her back, "thank you. this is because of you."

"no this is because of you," she says squeezing me before letting go.

i nod and hugged my fellow dancers before making my way back to the dressing room to quickly take off my tutu and pointe shoes, then pulled on some sweats and ugg boots to greet my parents.

i walked out of the dressing room and to the atrium, searching for my them. i spotted them waving me over and i ran, embracing the both of them.

"you were amazing, lei," my dad says as i pull away.

my mom look at me teary eyed, "you look so beautiful. wow, you took my breath away." she says cupping my cheeks, before kissing my forehead.

nate comes out from behind my parents, i looked at him still in shock seeing he actually came. he held a giant bouquet of red roses.