17

( nate's pov )

i watched lei as she walked down the hall way, with kat and rue. a smile was plastered on her face as she talked about god knows what, with them. but she seemed so happy. her friendship with rue bothered me but i couldn't tell her not to talk to rue without looking suspicious.

her beaming face, turned and she noticed me, and she kept up her smile and purses her lips a bit, before looking away from me. something between the two of us, and no one else noticed.

fuck. she drove me insane. literally and figuratively.

we hadn't seen each other since friday, but we texted everyday.

i let her have her alone time with her friends so i could do some more digging on her.

lei started her freshman year at saint mary's, where they expected her to be the shinning student they wanted.

we all knew about saint mary's, and just because it was a private school, didn't mean it was the best student body wise. they always had scandals after scandals. honestly there were so many "rumors" that were actually true but no one would ever know because they covered it up instantly. they also had the highest rates of drug over doses out of any of the high school in the area.

but lei was different, she a smart, and they knew she was smart so they wanted to make her their top student. which she was for a while.

from what i can tell, lei was "clean." so to speak. like i said she had a pretty decent record, but i knew she took her prescription meds that were some hard drugs. i was no one to judge because i myself took those recreationally, not prescribed.

i searched on every social media platform and i noticed something odd. she wasn't on any other social media platform except instagram, but that was wiped clean prior to her summer vacation of this year.

what i did notice was that guy gray, she told me not to worry about still followed her on instagram and even comments on her recent photos. so of course i had to do my digging on him.

grayson jameson rydell, was the son of two parents who came from old money. literal fucking trust fund babies. his mother was an interior decorator, and his father was some kind of fucking conservative ass senator. like honestly what the fuck they were doing here in east highland i had no clue.

gray, had every single post up since he started his instagram when he was 13. and low and behold he had a couple of pictures of lei on a beach he had taken of her, she looked young probably at the end of her freshman year. there were actually many photos of lei on his feed, he never deleted. he seemed in love with her, infatuated with her. but as the pictures got more recent it showed her getting older, more and more, covered up, and less happier. then the pictures of lei ended in the summer.

it didn't take me long to find a friend of his, someone who was so fucking dumb and literally released information on him to a stranger on twitter. i pretended to be a teenage girl who was interest in grayson. he told me gray, got addicted to drugs around this time a year ago, so i shouldn't go after him. but he was like rue heavy into drugs. oxy, cocaine, meth, molly, fentanyl, you name it he got his hands on. he loved cocaine but his drug of choice was pain medications.

in february, he overdosed on fentanyl and got sent to rehab, but that wouldn't be his first time in rehab since he would go again in june do to a overdose on oxy, after a breakup. that's what the guy said.

lei was loyal to him, too fucking loyal if you ask me, because she stood at his side in everything, she even put her dancing on hold to help support him through his addiction. he clouded her dream, goals and aspirations and she let him.