Sohma Akito Arc, Chapter Five: Filing the Case

Ben: (stands in front of the police station, inhales) Okay, I can do this. It's for Akito's good. (Looks around) 

The place is quite lonely compared to what he had expected, but he decides to just go through with it. Much more convenient, in his eyes. 

Ben: (steps into the police station, follows the directions to the police unit room) Erm excuse me- EH?!

George Kirrin's head looks up from a case file, and a cheeky grin spreads once she realises who it is.

George: Oh, it's Ben! Hey guys! (turns around) 

Julian, Dick and Anne Kirrin, her cousins and the other three human members of the Famous Five, look up from their own work, and their eyes widen before they rush over and hug him.

Julian: It's been a while since we've seen each other, Uncle Ben! How are you? 

Ben: Ah, I'm cool so far. What about you guys? You've been busy with your world-wide case solving aren't you? You just happened to be here, huh?

Anne: (nods with a smile) You're busy with your rehab center these days, aren't you? 

Ben: Maa, I guess you can say that. The people who've already come in were part of my NH self's center, so they're already somewhat good. I ended up sending them back to their world. So right now, I've been doing some assignments by going around. It helps with spreading the word, apparently. 

Dick: Interesting! So, what brings you around here? 

Ben: Well, I'm on my first assignment in this city. I'm here to file a report on someone. 

George: Ah, well, the person you should be talking to is Inspector Megure. 

Ben: Eh? He's here? 

Inspector Megure: Oh, it's Cipher-san! (jogs over as he enters) 

Ben: Ah, Megure-kebu! It's been a long time! (smiles)

Megure: Likewise. How has everything been with you? What about Conan-kun and the Mouris? 

Ben: They've been good too. Far as I know, anyway. I've been a bit busy. That's actually why I'm here, honestly. 

Megure: Ah, I see. What is the problem? 

Ben: I need to file a complaint about someone, if that's okay. 

Megure: Alright then. Is it that bad? 

Ben: Yes. This person is being accussed of child abuse, child neglect and emotional abuse. 

Megure: Alright then. I'll take this case if you want me to. 

Ben: (eyes widen) W-Wait really?! 

Megure: Of course! You're a friend of the Mouris. How can I not? Plus, you're doing this for someone, aren't you? 

Ben: How did you? 

Megure: (smiles) I had a feeling. You just had it written all over your face. So, do you have evidence?

Ben's eyes water seeing him so ready to help him. Even before, when he had been a villain, no one had supported him. It was his whole motive. 

Now, seeing someone ready to support him, even though he used to be a villain, it just... touches him. 

But he has to do his best in order to make sure all that effort didn't go to waste. 

Ben: (small tears come out, smiles as he wipes it off) Y-Yeah I do. I'm counting on you, then, M-Megure-kebu! 

Megure: (grins) Of course!

"Maybe, some day, I'll be able to repay all the kindness they've given me." 

"But for now, I'll take it one step at a time."