Mera-Mikettio Arc, Chapter Three: Night One in the Youmakai

Ben: (sighs, stirs the pot with some soup in it) It's not much, but it's from the SHSL Chef, so it's better than nothing. 

Mera: (takes some) Thank you for the food.

Mikettio: (scoffs) Oresama feels the same. (starts inhaling the food)

Night has fallen, and the three have found shelter. 

Ben: (sips some, takes out his phone, types out a text) 

"Hey, Sarah. If this gets to you (which I doubt, considering how bad the connection is here), I want to ask how you've been. I know I sound like a irresponsible dad, but trust me, I think it's better for you to stay in the dorms. I'm sorry that I didn't consult with you. I admit that it was biased, but I was stressed with all the things happening at home. I do hope that you can forgive me, Sarah. When I come back, I'll treat you out to anything you want (within the realm of morality, of course.) 

I want you to grow up well, as a person. I want you to know what it's like to grow up as a human, not as a demon or as anything else. It's selfish, but I'm new to the parenting thing. My parents were not good role models. Quite the opposite, really. I can only hope to be a good one.

See you then. Hope to hear the juicy gossip on whether you've found anyone special after Fubuki and Sinae. *wink*  Sincerely, Ben Cipher."

Ben: (sighs) This should do. (looks up, sees that the two have finished eating) Go get some rest, you two. I'll stay up to guard. 

Mera: Alright then. (turns around, lies down) Good night. 

Mikettio: (raises an eyebrow, but shrugs) Goodnight. (leans on the wall, closes his eyes)

With everyone asleep, Ben stands up and walks to the edge of the cave. He smiles a bit as he watches the sky clear up a bit to show the beautiful night sky.  

Ben: Sarah... (sighs) I'm so sorry. I know that being sorry isn't enough, but I just wanted the best for you. 

Memories of his own "parenting" flashes in his mind, making him bite his lip. 

Ben: I... (leans on the wall, grabs his hair) I don't know what to do. She reminds me of myself before I was redeemed. I just wish.... I just wish I could be a good parent. 

Mikettio: You are a good parent. 

Ben: H-Huh?! (turns) Mikettio? 

Mikettio: (sits beside him) You're not a bad parent. Oresama can tell you that. The plans for the school are still underway, right? 

Ben: (blushes) I-I'm surprised you know. 

Mikettio: Overheard from Ryder. (shrugs) He's not a secret keeper, to be fair. 

Ben: True. (sweatdrops) But that's what makes him a good person. Not like me. 

Mikettio: Same for Oresama. 

Ben: (blinks) Huh? 

Mikettio: (looks at him) Technically, Bakera, Goromi and Bluepon are my kids, and you can tell that I am a horrible parent. I was a manipulative jerk who thought only of himself. 

Ben: Well, I can't blame you. 

Mikettio: What?

Ben: I was the same. I thought the world owed me something for always liking Bill, Will and Jill instead of me. (smiles) But someone reached out to me. (looks up to the night sky) That's why you're here, you know. You're not a bad person. You can be better. Even against the strongest odds, one can be redeemed. (laughs) Dav taught me that.

Mikettio: The original leader of the SRS? 

Ben: Mmhm. (yawns) Ahh, so sleepy. Too many nights of planning out Sarah's rehab and the others, but mostly Sarah, is hitting me hard now. 

Mikettio: Go sleep then. Oresama will keep watch. 

Ben: Wait no, it's fine. You don't have to.

Mikettio: Oresama doesn't mind staying up. Oresama is used to it. 

Ben: .... (smiles gently, pats him) Okay then. Just wake me up if you're tired. 

Mikettio: Alright. 

Ben then goes to sleep, and Mikettio looks up to the sky, keeping watching until the next morning.