Chapter 76

Gulf looked around, they had stepped through some beautiful mahogany doors. When he had first walked into the restaurant he had felt himself tense. It was full of people and he could feel the stares, he usually didn't care, but the big crowd had made him uncomfortable. But Mew had placed his hand at his back and guided him through the doors.

The waiter directed them to a table that had been beautifully set up. He bowed and left. Gulf realized no one else was around. He looked at Mew who was watching him.

"I figured you would be more at ease in a private room, away from all the people"

Gulf felt the warmth in his chest blossom "Thank you"

Mew pulled the chair for him and he took a seat. The room was bathed in a low soothing light, the candles on the table giving a soft glow. The light sound of violins playing in the background made the whole thing seem surreal to Gulf.

"This..." he wasn't sure what to say

"Don't worry about it, my family is good friends with the owner, just relax and enjoy"

Gulf smiled and nodded.

"So how was your day? What did you do today" Mew asked looking at him.

Gulf felt bad. He didn't want to risk telling him so now he had to lie. "Just continued to read Irashi's journal" well that wasn't a complete lie "nothing really eventful, how bout you?"

Mew smiled reaching for the necklace dangling from his neck. "My sister insisted my clothes weren't good enough and forced and entire day of shopping on me" he rolled his eyes but the chuckled that followed was full of affection.

"She wants to be friends with you"

Gulf widened his eyes "She does? Why?"

Mew laughed "Why not?"

Gulf laughed as well, that was a dumb question. He was nervous, really nervous he had never tried this whole dating thing, you couldn't call what he had with Jimmy dating, it was more like he was an errand boy, just a stand in.

Mew touched Gulf's hand bringing him back from his thoughts "You know we can just talk like friends you don't have to overthink anything"

Gulf nodded. "Tell me about you"

Mew sat back and looked at him "Me?" He bit the inside of his mouth "What do you want to know?"

"What do you think I should know?" Gulf tilted his head and it reminded Mew of a kitten "What do you want to share?"

"I'm more sentimental than I look, I like to fix problems once they happen, I'm hot headed" he said smiling "the first time I met you I was floored" he watched Gulf's ears turn red "I think it's adorable that your ears blush when you're shy, very rare and special sight on someone who usually doesn't allow much emotion to show"

"You're supposed to be telling me about you not me Suppasit" Gulf said hiding his smile.

"Ah that's right me. I have only my sister and my mother, they are my most precious people and of course Chopper" Gulf smiled at that "My father passed away when I was younger, cancer. He loved us very much and loved me for me."

Mew continued to talk and Gulf watched him carefully as he spoke. He watched the way his eyes softened when he talked about what and who he loved, the way a fond smile escaped him, the way his eyes hardened as he told him his hardships. His life had been full of joy and then sorrow, he had struggled with the loss of his father and still did by the way he talked about it, he felt Mew was telling him things he had never told anyone, as if he was trusting him with his darkest secrets. The moment felt intimate and fragile, like he had been given a treasure for safe keeping, but it didn't feel like a burden or weight, it made his heart feel light, made him feel important.