~14~ The Office

I had been called to Levi's office by Hanji but she wouldn't give me details and just said he needed to 'see me'. What did I do this time? Normally he digs at me in front of everyone so it must be serious for a change...

I approached his door and knocked, waiting for an answer.

"Who is it?" I heard a gruff voice answer.

"Hey, Le--Sir, you asked for me?" I answered nervously.

I heard footsteps come towards the door and it clicked to unlock then it opened to reveal Levi standing there, one hand on his hip, the other on the door handle. He stepped to the side and let me in.

As I walked in I heard him shut and relock the door behind and I turned to look at him. He just walked to his desk and sat behind it, not looking at me.

"Is everything okay, sir?" I asked.

With a sigh he finally looked up at me. "Ye--Uh--yes." He turned away again and looked out of the window.

"O-kay..." I rolled out the word. "What did you need from me?"

"Look, Eren, I don't think this is working." He said still looking away.

"What's not working?" I asked, confused.

"This. You working here." He sighed and looked at me again.

"Wha--what do you mean? Did I do something wrong? Was it my recent shoot? I mean, I know I'm not the best but I'm working on it, y'know?" I blurted, leaning forward on his desk. "I'll try harder, I promise. Please don't fire me!"

He closed his eyes and when he opened them again, I could see something in them. Sorrow? Hurt, maybe? "Eren... It's nothing to do with your shoots. You're fine in that sense, well more than fine actually. But it's--Look." He sighed again, and raised a fist to his mouth in thought.

Frustrated, he closed his eyes and pulled his fist away from his mouth before putting it back and splaying his fingers.

"This will be the only time I'm gonna say this, so just listen okay?" he said softly. "I can't work with you. Seeing you here... It's just too difficult for me."

"Difficult? What do you mean?" I interrupted, but he held his hand up.

"I said listen! I can't just be your boss, Eren. You being here, me seeing you everyday and doing what you do... I can't stick not being able to be with you." He stopped suddenly. "And I can't be with you, if I'm your boss."

"So... What're you saying...?" I asked, rubbing my now sweaty hands on my trouser legs.

"I'm saying, you're fired." He catches my gaze and holds it.

"I'm fired...?" I say confused. "But..?"

"Eren, I need you, in more ways than one. And you working for me... You being here, it's just not possible."

"But, you can't just fire me on a whim of you 'needing' me. What does that even mean?!" I ask incredulously.

"You know what that means, Eren." He says, catching my gaze again. I gulp.

"Sir...I really don't think I understand..." I wanted him to spell it out for me. Word by word.

"You want me to spell it out for you? Is that it?" He stands up and walks around the desk approaching me. His hands fall on the arms of the chair, either side of me. I take a deep breath, and let it out shakily.

"Levi... What are you doing?" I ask as he brings one of his hands upto my face and trails his fingers across my jaw, causing me to shiver and then suddenly he stands up again and walks away, turning his back to me.

I look at him, confused. "Wha--?" I stand up and walk towards him and place my hand on his shoulder.

He turns abruptly and grabs my face between his hands and kisses me.

I'm too shocked to react, so I just stand there. He pulls away and looks at me, I look into his eyes and he looks lost and upset.

He pulls away from me and looks to the window again. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have done that."

"No, no, it's fine. I just... Wasn't expecting that." I pull at his arm softly to make him look at me. "Levi?"

"Yes?" He asks softly.

"Am I really fired...?" I ask, not sure if I want the answer, either way I lose.

He sighs and shakes his head. "No, I can't fire you just because of how I feel. That's not fair on you."

I look down to the floor. "Levi...I need you to know that I... " I start but have to stop myself.

"Unless you really mean it, please don't finish that sentence." He looks at me with pleading eyes.

"I do Levi. I do mean it... I just... I can't choose between the two things I have grown to really like. So please don't make me...I don't want to lose this job... And I really don't want to lose you."

"Alright." He says.

"Alright? Is that it?" I ask.

"What else is there to say?" He asks me. "You want to keep your job, so, I'll stop. I won't try to pursue you anymore."

I look away again with a small sigh. "I want you too, you know." I say softly and turn away.

He takes my hand and intertwines our fingers before I can walk away and pulls me to him. "Levi?"

"This is too hard for me, Eren. Don't say that to me." He brings our hands up to his mouth and kisses mine softly as he places one of his hands on my cheek.

"Then stop. Stop flirting with me all the time... Just stop!" I say as I rip my hand from his. He looks at me confused. "If you can't do this, then don't. I've already told you, I don't want to lose you or my job so just drop it okay?"

"I.. You're right." He steps away from me and walks back to his desk. "Leave Eren. Get out. Now."

"Fine." I scoff and turn away from him. "Just so you know, I really wish you would've tried harder." I say as I reach the door.

"Eren! Wait..."