1.1 - The Early Years

Y/N L/N was born in 1888 in London, England however there were complications with his birth unfortunately as a new life came into the world, one was taken away......his mother Helen, she died of blood loss when giving birth to him.

His father Henry was completely heartbroken that the love of his life had died because of a child that he never even wanted, now the easiest decision would have been to give him to an orphanage but his wife wouldn't have wanted that so he decided to at least try to be a father to Y/N.

-
16 years later

Henry L/N was sitting in the living room of his two bedroom house reading the local newspaper finishing a bottle of Jack Daniels' whiskey before throwing the bottle on the floor smashing it as it connected with the hardwood floorboards.

Seeing the mess that had amassed on the floor, he yelled in the direction of the kitchen "Y/N, YOU LITTLE SHIT! GET IN HERE NOW!".

Around ten seconds after Henry's outburst a sixteen year old Y/N came out of the kitchen with an irritated looking scowl on his face "What is it daddy dearest?" He asks walking towards his father who was seemingly less than impressed at his son's remark.

"Don't call me that! Now clean that up and bring me another whiskey......and make it quick!" Henry barked at his son who just stood there unfazed by his father's yelling.

"Why do I always have to clean up your mess? I mean you've got hands, two big working hands" Y/N calmly shot back at his father.

Henry got up from his chair and stared at Y/N "Well if you hadn't have killed my wife then she would be here to do this!" that was a low blow for Y/N but it was something he was consistently reminded of.

Y/N looked at his father in the eye and replied "Looks like I did her favour then at least she doesn't have to be here with you anymore" Y/N didn't truly believe what he said but just wanted to hurt his father.

Despite his condescending demeanor, Henry was not a particularly physically imposing person but could be a real mean piece of shit when he wanted to which was evident as he drove his left fist straight into Y/N's ribs before connecting his other fist into Y/N's jaw dropping him to the floor above the broken glass. He finished by stomping Y/N's face as hard as he could into the broken glass, which caused Y/N to drift in and out of consciousness.

Henry towered over his fallen child smirking at his handy work before whispering coldly "You fucking waste of space, this is what you deserve for killing the only good thing in my life." Henry then strolled into the kitchen as if nothing was wrong leaving his son in a small puddle of crimson liquid before finally passing out.

When Y/N woke up to the constant sounds of ticking and ticking, he realised that he was still in the same position he remembered bring in as he groaned and carefully pulled himself off the floor.

He touched his face which was seething with pain and felt a few small pieces of bottle shards in his face which he pulled out knowing that it would certainly leave a few marks, looking back at the grandfather clock he saw that he had been out for around two and a quarter hours.

It was unusually quiet in his house which meant that his father had clearly gone out to the pub for a bit, this gave Y/N an idea something he had wanted to do for years but couldn't bring himself to do it...........Run away from home, he'd finally be free of the prison that the four walls of his house had become.

"Fuck it, Let's get away from this piece of shit!" Y/N said to himself as he grabbed his clothes and put them in a bag. He also wanted to rub salt into the wound by 'borrowing' two pounds from his dad, he looked at the money "I'm sure he won't miss this" which he stuffed into the pockets of his trousers.

He burst out of the door and headed off into the night to begin his new life to do something he had always wanted to do which was join the army. Y/N was a relatively skilled fighter without training, he had garnered a bit of a reputation for himself as a local thug which Y/N put down to his shitty upbringing but he was generally a bit of dick anyways.

After about half an hour of walking, Y/N got to the army recruitment drive that was located near Trafalgar Square and went inside to see a couple dozen other men inside also keen to join up. He had waited in line for about twenty minutes before he had got to the front of the line.

"NEXT!" Yelled the man at the desk. Y/N stepped forward and did a mock salute "Sir, I'm here to enlist for the army." Y/N spoke with a large amount of enthusiasm but the man looked less than impressed. From his name tag he was called Colonel Becker, who was a seemingly tall Caucasian gentleman with short, tidy black hair, brown eyes with a clean shave.

Colonel Becker looked at Y/N "Your name?" He grabbed his pen to fill out the application as the sixteen year old answered "Y/N M/N L/N" Becker was scribbling down quickly "Age?" This was the question Y/N was dreading because he was two years younger than the required age to join the army "18" he said confidently and with his chest, Becker eyed Y/N up and down almost as if he wasn't convinced which made Y/N sweat internally but sure enough Becker continued writing.

Becker asked Y/N a bunch of other standard questions to do with medical history, education etc. It was all looking good for Y/N as Becker had one final question for him "Why do you want to join the Army, L/N?", Y/N smirked "Sir, I want to join to serve King Edward and do my bit for the country plus I do enjoy myself a little back alley brawl." Becker nodded his head very slightly "Yes, I can see that given the marks on your face." Y/N's smirk got even bigger "Sir, this face will be the prettiest one this army has ever seen." Becker shook his head and looked at Y/N with a look that said 'You have no idea what you're in for'.

Becker then added the finishing touches on Y/N's application "Right then L/N, you'll be going for a standard medical examination and will have to take some basic physical training tests. If you pass both of them you'll be enlisted into His Majesty's Army." Y/N had a smile on his face and did another mock salute "Private L/N will be reporting for duty Colonel."

Becker put Y/N's application to the side "Get out of here L/N and don't be late for your tests in the morning" Y/N walked away with his bag and thrusted his hands up in victory before doing a sing-songy voice "Ooh ahh Private L/N in the army" He started doing some weird dance as he knew that he was ready to enlist in the army.