51. MAD-EYE'S DEAD

| CHAPTER FIFTY-ONE |

MAD-EYE'S DEAD.

REMUS WAS ONE OF THE first ones back, carrying an injured George, the ginger haired man got a hit by a spell from Snape, luckily, the spell was off-target meaning he was injured, but certainly not dead. Molly rushed out the Burrow, with Harry trailing behind. As soon as their eyes landed on George's bloodied face Harry rushed forwards, helping Remus take the injured man inside as Molly rushed to the kitchen to grab some water and bandages.

Remus heaved, running his hands over his face before he suddenly turned to Harry, pushing the boy up against the wall, he pointed his wand at him, "What creature sat in the corner the first time Harry Potter visited my office in Hogwarts?"

"Lupin! What are you doing? Are you mad?" Hagrid yelled, he was about to walk over when the werewolf gestured for him to stop.

"What creature?" Remus interrogated, inspecting every little inch of Harry's face.

"A-A Grindylow," Harry breathed out, nervously looking at his former professor.

Remus let out a sigh of relief and stepped away from the sixteen year old, "Voldemort knew you were being moved today," He explained, "I had to make sure you weren't an imposter," Harry nodded understandingly as Remus turned to face Molly, "Dawn?"

Molly looked up from George, shaking her head.

"Hope?"

"She's upstairs with Ginny."

Remus was about to rush upstairs when the sound of movement came from outside. Rushing out the front door, he lifted his wand back up as Kingsley did the exact same, with Hermione standing just behind him.

"The last words Albus Dumbledore spoke to the pair of us?" Kingsley interrogated.

"'Harry is the best hope we have. Trust him.'"

Kingsley nodded and simultaneously both men let their guards drop down.

"What gave you away?" Kingsley questioned, looking directly at Harry.

The messy hair boy breathed out nervously, "Hedwig, I think," He confessed, "She was trying to protect me."

Another flash came from behind Kingsley, everyone turned to look in that direction, watching as Tonks and Ron came closer. Hermione rushed over to his side, throwing her arms over the boy and squeezing him tightly before moving away to take the glasses from his face.

"Deserved that," Tonks told her, smiling appreciatively at Ron, "Brilliant, he was. I wouldn't be standing here without him."

"Really?" Hermione breathed out, looking proud.

Ron chuckled, "Always the tone of surprise."

The next flash came to the left of everyone. Arthur and Fred walked towards the group, the latter of the two taking off the circular glasses and shoving them into his far too small hoodie.

"We the last back?" Arthur questioned, quirking an eyebrow as he looked around everyone.

"Where's Dawn? And Georgie?" Fred suddenly questioned, he watched as Remus, Hagrid and Harry all turned to look at the Burrow and without hesitation, he sprinted inside, quickly followed by Arthur and the rest of the Order.

Remus couldn't help but stand there for a moment, just looking out into the wheat field ahead of him. A nauseating feeling washed over him before he turned around and rushed inside after everyone else, staying as close as he could to the door just in case he heard Dawn return. Everyone was gathered around George, who finally became conscious again as he spoke to his twin. 

Remus' ears perked up when he heard two new voices outside, throwing the door open he watched as Bill and Fleur rushed to the Burrow, their faces full of sorrow. They passed Remus without even daring to look at the man, leaving him standing there, fearing the worst.

"Mad-Eye's dead," Bill suddenly announced, the entire house suddenly became silent, and a cold feeling ran down Remus' spine. The werewolf looked up at the news, his heart almost jumping out of his chest from the adrenaline that rushed through his veins, "Mundungus took one look at Voldemort and disapparated. We--We don't know where Dawn is."

Remus felt as if he suddenly got stabbed right in the heart. His legs buckled underneath him as he fell into the chair closest to him. His thoughts were racing a thousand miles per hour, thinking of all possible outcomes of this situation. He ran his hands across his face when suddenly he felt someone's hand squeezing his shoulder comfortingly. That seemed to snap him back into reality and he jumped out of his seat, his eyes wild, "What do you mean you don't know where she is?" He interrogated, his voice louder than anyone has ever heard before.

"We don't know, we lost sight of her in all the commotion," Bill explained, his eyes looking at the older man with sadness. A loud sob came from the other side of the room and everyone turned to look at Molly. The woman was on the ground, her hand up to her mouth with tears streaming down her face.

"Is she dead?" Remus interrogated again, turning back to Bill and Fleur.

Bill frowned as he shared a look with Fleur, "We don't know, Remus."

The werewolf let out a frustrated yell and practically yanked at his own hair. She wasn't there. His Dawn wasn't there and nobody knew where she was. She could be dead for all they knew. Or she could be injured, lying somewhere and waiting for help. Bill reached his arm out to the man, but Remus was quick to shrug him off. Without saying another word, the man sprinted up the stairs, taking multiple steps at a time. For the rest of that night, he didn't let go off his little girl, holding her as tightly as he could to his chest as tears streamed down his scarred cheeks like waterfalls.