Dark Arts Class

The Slytherin group sat down eating breakfast, for their first day of classes.

Y/n had been avoiding Harry, ever since she found out Voldemort was trying to kill him. She thought it was best to distance herself, so her father wouldn't use him against her. Even though, she missed hanging out with her Gryffindor friends she knew it was to keep them safe.

"We have Care of Magical Creatures with the new professor first right?" Y/n asked her friends and they all nodded. "I'm kind of upset Hagrid had to leave, I really enjoyed that class." Y/n frowned slightly, while Pansy nodded in agreement. "Class won't be outside either, it's going to be in a classroom." Pansy added. Y/n grabbed a pumpkin pastry, as she looked around the room.

Hermione made eye contact with Y/n, she smiled at her and Y/n returned a small smile. Y/n got up putting her bag on her shoulders, "We should get going, we don't want to be late for class." Pansy got up, chugging the last of her pumpkin juice. Draco as well, swung his bag on his shoulder. "Have a good day of classes Draco!" Astoria told him, making Y/n raise one of her eyebrows. "Thanks, I guess?" He replied, he looked over at Y/n. "Are you ready to go love?" Y/n nodded her head, while looking at Pansy. Pansy glared at Astoria as the three walked out of the Great Hall.

Entering the classroom, Draco sat with Crabbe while Pansy and Y/n sat together, a bit farther from the boys. "Have a good day Draco." Pansy mimicked Astoria making her laugh. "She seems a little to nice huh? Especially with Draco?" Pansy nodded, "You think that's why she asked Daphne to hang out with us, to get closer to him?" Y/n shrugged, "It's not like anything will ever happen between them. We love each other and no one will come in between that." Pansy nodded agreeing with Y/n, "I don't really like her, if she tries something one more time I'll jinx her." Y/n chuckled as the watched Professor Grubbly-Plank entered the classroom.

"Hello students! As you all may know I am Professor Grubbly-Plank, I will be teaching you all about Magical Creatures. Today we will be learning about unicorns. Please take out your text book and turn to page 40." She instructed the class.

The two girls took out their text books and began to read the chapter about unicorns, for the remainder of the class.

"Only one who has nothing to lose, and everything to gain, would commit such a crime. The blood of a unicorn will keep you alive, even if you are an inch from death, but at a terrible price. You have slain something so pure and defenceless to save yourself, you will have but a half-life, a cursed life, from the moment the blood touches your lips." Y/n read to herself. Hmm, seems like something my father would do.

"Your homework assignment is to summarize the chapter, due next time we see each other." The professor told the class.

The girls got up heading into Dark Arts. Many other Gryffindor students had already arrived. Y/n and Draco took their seats in the back. They began to talk about the new professor and whether she was going to be great or not. Someone had enchanted a paper bird to fly around the room, making many students get up from their seats and catch it. Y/n laughed at their sad attempts, but her smiled dropped once the paper caught on fire.

"Good morning children." Professor Umbridge said making everyone turn to the door. She brought up her wand, "Ordinary wizarding level examinations, O-W-L, more commonly known as owls." She stood at the front of the room. "Study hard and you will be rewarded, fail to do so and the consequences may be severe." She flicked her wand and books began to fly to each students desk. "Your previous instruction to this subject has been disturbingly uneven. You'll be please to know from now on, you will be following a carefully structured ministry approved course of defensive magic."

Hermione raised her hand, "There's nothing in here about using defensive spells?" Umbridge quickly answered, "Using defensive spells? Well I can't imagine why you'll be needing to use defensive spells in my classroom." Umbridge laughed and walked in front of Hermione's desk. "We're not going to use magic?" Ron asked. "We'll be learning about defensive spells in a secure, risk-free way." Harry spoke up, "What use is that? If we're going to be attacked it won't be risk-free." Umbridge ignored his question, "Students will raise their hands when they speak in my class!" Harry and Ron both looked at each other. "It is the view of the ministry that the theoretical knowledge will be sufficient to get you through your examination, which after all is what school is all about." Harry interrupted her, "And how is theory suppose to prepare us for what's out there?" Umbridge laughed kind of mocking him, "There is nothing out there, dear. Who do you imagine wants to attack children, like yourself?" By now Harry was fed up, "Oh I don't know? Maybe Lord Voldemort?"

Every student in class gasped and whispered as Harry said his name out loud. Y/n's shoulders slightly stiffened as she heard her fathers name and the whispers people were saying.

"Now let me make this quite plain, you have been told that a certain dark wizard is at large once again. This is a lie." "It's not a lie! I saw him! I fought him!" Harry told her. "Detention Mr. Potter!" Umbridge told him. "So according to you, Cedric Diggory dropped dead of his own accord?" Y/n's eyes widen as she heard his name. "Cedric Diggory's death was a tragic accident." Y/n wanted to get up and say something, but Draco's hand grabbed her's from under the table making her look at him.

"It was murder! Voldemort killed him, you must know that!" Umbridge did not like being proved wrong, "Enough! See me later Mr. Potter, my office." She giggled.

Y/n and Draco both looked at each other, his thumb going over her hand– trying to calm her down. "Let's read the book, this class will be over soon." Draco whispered to her. Y/n nodded as she opened the book to the first page and began to study for her OWL's.

The remainder of the class period was silent and awkward. After Harry and Umbridge's altercation, no one dared to speak or even look up from their books.

Y/n felt horrible after hearing what Harry said. She began to blame herself again and hate herself for being Voldemort's daughter. She wished none of this had ever happened.