Potions Class

It was the first potions class with Professor Slughorn

It was the first potions class with Professor Slughorn. Y/n was rather excited to have a well-experience professor in that subject. Not that Professor Snape was a bad professor, it was just nice to have someone new and for Snape to finally teach defense against the dark arts, which was kind of ironic. Y/n was informed by Draco about the help Snape would be. Y/n never would have thought Snape was one of Voldemort's follower. But she learned they knew each other when they were in school, so he was rather loyal to her father.

Entering the classroom everyone stood towards the front of the classroom. Professor Slughorn began to briefly talk about himself. Y/n looked over at Draco noticing how distracted and unfocused he was. She figured it was because of the task Voldemort had assigned him. Y/n knew he was terrified, especially if he didn't succeed. Voldemort had threatened Draco with his father if he failed to kill Dumbledore. There was so much pressure on such a young boy.

"Does anyone know what the amortentia potion is?" Professor Slughorn asked and Hermione answered. "Amortentia is the most powerful love potion in the world. It is distinctive for its mother-of-pearl sheen, and steam rises from the potion in spirals. Amortentia smells different to each person, according to what attracts them." She went over to the cauldron to smell it, "For example I can smell freshly mown grass and new parchment and spearmint toothpaste." She looked slightly at Ron, but looked down quickly. Pansy sure noticed because she softly sighed.

"Will everyone please smell the cauldron and let me know what you smell?" Professor Slughorn asked the class and everyone formed a line.

Pansy was first, "Uh old books, parchment paper, and perfume." Y/n knew Pansy's amortentia smelled like Hermione. It made Y/n sad for her friend because she knew Hermione had feelings for someone else.

Y/n went towards the cauldron and sniffed, "I smell mahogany wood, green apples, and mint." Exactly what attracted her towards Draco, the way his minty breath hit her soft lips and the taste of green apples on his lips. Slughorn looked at Y/n's face, he was speechless for a moment. "Merlin, you resemble a boy I once knew." Y/n awkward laughed, "My father did go to Hogwarts, maybe you were his teacher?" Slughorn continued to examine her face, but eventually moved on onto the next person in line. "Yes, yes. I did teach many back then." He laughed.

Draco cleared his throat making Professor Slughorn shake for his thoughts. "Ah yes, Mr. Malfoy, please continue." Draco leaned towards the cauldron, "Lavender, vanilla, and cinnamon." Y/n blushed slightly knowing the potion was her smell.

"Today's assignment is for you to recreate this potion and smell exactly what you smelled before. The person who completes the assignment first will win this!" Slughorn smiled as he brought out a small bottle with liquid. "It's Felix Felicis also known as liquid
luck. It is a magical potion that makes the drinker lucky for a period of time, during which everything they attempt will be successful." He smiled at everyone. Draco slightly straightened his posture. He wanted that potion, badly. He did not want to disappoint the Dark Lord. If he were to obtain the potion, he could successfully complete the task he was given.

Everyone went straight to work. Many students attempted to do the potion perfect, but failed. Others ended up giving up when they couldn't smell what the smelled before. The only person who didn't seem to have trouble was Harry. Even though he was cutting the ingredients differently, he managed to make the perfect potion. Slughorn congratulated him and handed him the liquid luck.

Draco looked disappointed in himself and angry towards Harry, of course Saint Potter wins again. Draco was so close to finishing as well, but Harry always came first. Y/n gave Draco's hand a small squeeze, "You did great. You'll get him next time." She gave him a small smile, but he just nodded. Draco felt more pressure now than ever. He hoped in winning that potion, but he didn't. He was scared, he felt hopeless. No one knew what he was going through.

In the back of Slughorn's mind, he kept thinking about the boy Y/n's face resembled. No matter how many times he tried to remember, he couldn't make up the boys face. Which was great for Y/n because she was slightly worried he would have known, who her real father was. She did not want her new professor disappearing because he knew her deepest secret.

Dinner time arrived after many long classes. Draco sat slightly alone, rather than being with the group as he always did. He was starting to become more distant from everyone, including Y/n. Which sucked because she was the only one, besides Snape, that knew what he was going through.

Y/n did not want him to go through all this alone. She wanted to be able to help him, but he would just isolate himself. Y/n wanted nothing more than for all of this to be over. She wished Draco was never given this task. A part of her even wished she was given the task, so Draco wouldn't feel this way anymore.

Voldemort had bigger plans for his daughter. She was meant to be kept safe. With Snape looking after Y/n as well, he made sure no harm ever came towards the Dark Lord's daughter.