36. A night trip at the Temple

Just as the last second fell I swiftly tumbled forward past the closing gates before perfectly standing back up again.

Just as it gate shut with a click.

I was in, and now standing I could finally get a good look at the so-called burnt temple.

Oh god oh mighty, what scene shocked me was one of black dust everywhere. Burnt areas of grass, rock, and the building, in general was horrific.

Rather than looking like a holy temple for the gods, it looked like a temple for the devil. What had happened here to change a piece of holy land into...this mess!

Rather than a sight that looked to be the result of a fire, it looked more like something you would see at a warzone.

I had seen so many places like this back in my life as an assassin, though every memory back then was dyed grey in my memory.

So, maybe it didn't look like this but doubt it.

Kicking a stone and some rubble away from the path, I headed over to the main building in the temple.

At this point in time, I had completely thrown Braylon and Rowan at the back of my mind. As for the thing that was following me earlier, I doubted that they could've made it in as teleportation was useless. So, guess it's just me and this big mess...great.

Seriously, you think that climbing upstairs like this would be quick and easy but nope. The stairs were broken and uneven with each step I took I had to move fast and precise as no longer than 3 seconds the step underneath would start crumbling.

This would be fine if there weren't many steps to climb but the thing is that temples love putting 100 steps for visitors to climb before being able to enter the main building, aka the worshipping/prayer room.

So, here I am climbing all 100 steps while trying not to fall through. This took some time as sometimes I would step in the wrong place and I would have to quickly flip back to a safe distance and so on and so forth.

Finally, after so many failures, I reached the top silently cursing the architect for their poor design choice.

Were their motives to torture the visitors who come to give their prays to the gods? Otherwise, why would they design this way!

Tsk, now that I'm finally at the top I can head over to the prayer room.

I wasn't expecting to be fancy as it was burnt down not long ago but oh damn I was wrong.

Not only was the room decorated in silk with hanging busted chandeliers from the ceiling while the floor was pure marble with a long red carpet extending to the altar. There was even a large open ceiling that let the moonlight aluminate the altar and statue.

Oh, and did I mention that altar just so conveniently was located right in front of a golden statue of the god Halos...

That's right people, THAT 15METRE STATUE WAS MADE OUT OF PURE GOLD!!!

There are so many people starving and in poverty yet they choose to spend money on building a pure gold statue!

That could feed and help multiple lives, tsk I never knew priests and priestess were so money hungry.

Isn't this a misuse of power?