37. Past memories coming to Haunt

Opening my shut eyes, I blink twice to take in what I saw.

When I finished I stood there paralysed, around me was a place I knew all too well...

It was the city of Starta.

The place I was born and raised in, the bustling streets of people passing, and the tall buildings with flashy lights.

I was frozen in place as I stared lost. The buried fright I had thought to have locked away ages ago came back wriggling into my heart along with these memories.

My face paled at the realisation of what exact memory this was, it was the first time I was taken out of the training and recruitment centre and sent to the lab.

As I thought everything in my sight zoomed passed and what was left was the scene in which I wished to forget all these years.

What I saw was chilling to the bone, quite literally.

I stood there watching my younger self be taken into the laboratory room and being strapped on the operation table.

My heart dropped as the needle was penetrating into my skin, I yelled in pain as I clenched my chest just right above my heart. The pain felt all too real, as I kept watching the liquid being pushed into me, my screams couldn't be heard as they had taped my mouth but my bloodshot eyes filled with tears told about the pain as ever part of my body felt like it was being stabbed by needles then being ruthlessly torn apart.

I was clenching my fists while hunching on the floor trying to breathe, I could feel it in my body. I could feel the unknown substance they had injected into me when I was only 8. the pain I could never forget yet right now it felt as if I was reliving it, my eyes welled up with tears as I tried hard to endure the pain.

It wasn't long before I heard the same voices I did back then, "she's just a child, is it really that necessary to treat her this way?"

"Of course! She's just another orphan anyway. We can just replace her if she dies."

"oh...how is the experiment going?"

"The substance seems to have a bad effect on the last few test subjects before but I think that this girl could be our success."

"What makes you say that?"

"because she didn't die nor did her skin start rotting when I injected her with the serum."

"Is there something special about this girl?"

"Possibly, but that's probably unlikely."

As their words grew louder in my ears I punched the floor underneath me cursing, I hated them. I hated them with every fibre in my body. Their voices were nauseating, as each word cut my heart like sharp daggers, along with the searing of the serum still caused my body to tremble chaotically.

They didn't want to let me live yet they didn't want me to die.

These scumbags treated me like a toy that they could discard at any moment. They never saw me as a human they only saw me as a tool for their testing and dirty work.

Even now in this life, I'm still being used as a tool for others to gain power.

I'm not a human in their eyes, I'm just a tool to them...