The Smoke without a Fire

Abir wondered for the millionth time why he was going to face the guaranteed torture head on..

But Piya....he owed her this much..This prestigious project was their brainchild and poor girl.... he must have put her through a really hard time for his normally business driven friend  to yell at him.....

"Abir...you can't deny me anything at this point....I have been shuttling between home and hotel for God knows how many times...for months ....haven't had a decent , relaxing meal all this time.. neither at home with Mom's bickering and here with you .......God..!! I pity the girl you will marry someday.... Make sure your lifesize photo is fitted onto your bedroom wall then so that she won't forget your face ......and why...why are you doing this to me.....you know my ambition.....and you want me to burn out ...."

"Piya .... I am so...sorry......" he had tried to calm her .....

"No you are not sorry now but if you don't cut slack on work you are going to be....and I want to give my brother a boost if I can have best of both worlds...his shows are getting recognition in US...he wants his name here too...and it's mutual benefit and added bonus for us.."

She had gone on and on about Neil's shows and was pressing him to view some.The one she showed him has been his Achilles heel..and it was playing on loop ....

Branding every nuances into his brain...and now to watch more. Can't...

"Okay !."

"Okay? Really...Wow...!! "

Piya rubbed her hands in excitement.

"I am looking forward to meet Mishti properly.....you know what.?...now that my good for nothing brother has kinda established himself in his field he can give a thought or two about committing himself ....

Abir...don't you think they  look good together...?"

Her words grated in Abir's ears..

What? Mishti and Neil... Never..!

"No...!!"

His reply was abrupt and made Piya to stiffen a bit.....

"I mean....you know ....I think You only told Umm Kunal........"

He tried to explain in vain....

"Hmm... Kunal..." a frown appeared on her forhead....

"I don't actually believe they are an item ....sort of protective or may be over protective friend ......as you are ...may be that's all between them .Why don't you ask Kunal......I think  anything happening between them is as far fetched as  some thing happening between us

She patted his shoulders..

" Yeah...and what's going on with Jacques..may I ask..?"

Abir asked diverting her attention,

" Basic flirting boy...you don't know that.."