31. Day 3- Falling in, Falling out-III

Hiii my lovely readers... 😍😍😍😘😘😘
Back with a long chapter. ..
Please refer the previous chapter for details. ❤️❤️❤️
***

Gangaputra asked, "Do you know about Ashtavasus??"

"Noooo???" Shikha's voice trailed.

Gangaputra started telling her everything he knew about Ashtavasus. The eight gods representing the fundamental elements of nature.

He told her how the Ashtavasus stole the Nandini cow of Rishi Vashistha on the insistence of God Prabhas's wife. And when they asked for mercy, the Rishi took mercy upon them and reduced the effect of his curse. The seven brothers who assisted on stealing would be liberated on the first year of their birth by Devi Ganga.

But the one vasu, Prabhas, who did the act will have to endure the curse for a very long period.

Shikha was listening carefully to whatever he was telling her. The rich baritone of his voice has dropped into a lower octave which gives a lulling effect on his storytelling. She could hear him all day and night.

"Devi Ganga took the task of liberating the cursed soul of the Ashtavasus... So do you understand something??" Gangaputra asked her lifting his brows.

"Wait!" Shikha  chuckled. "This story you told me is an awful bedtime story. I mean what kind of Gods steal cow... And what would they do with it??? And that silly woman, God Prabhas's wife, why would she wants her husband to do something which would put a curse on him... And all of them get cursed, but she hadn't suffered at all??"

Shikha has no idea that he was telling his personal story, that's why she took it lightly.

Gangaputra explained.  "Okay that's not true. They committed a sin out of their prankishness and whimsicality... And every one of them suffered due to it."

"Seriously??? What did she get??" Shikha mocked.

Gangaputra without any humour answered her in a serious tone. "Eternal Separation. From Prabhas"

Shikha's humourful mirth died too. "That's not fair. Others get the chance of redemption, but she got an eternity of separation from her husband. That's really not fair, Gangaputra."

Gangaputra chuckled this time."You are such a contradicting character. One moment you were spitting fire at her, and the next you went all compassionate over her"

Shikha smiled at her freaky behaviour. "what happened to her, then??? What's her name???"

Gangaputra  said wistfully.  "Varsati(Varastrī). She was the sister of Brhaspati. She was a lovely lady also known as Yogasiddha. She practiced brahmacharya and yoga and roamed around the entire universe, bereft of attachment. She, then married Prabhas."

"But what has any of these to do with Devi Ganga as your mother??"Urgently, Shikha asked.

Gangaputra came out of his trance. One corner of lips lifted in amusement."You have no patience at all, no???"

Shikha chuckled.

Gangaputra then told Shikha the curse upon Devi Ganga. How king Mahabhisha had the chance to visit Brahma lok and how their obscene behaviour made her to be a mortal and be his wife and come back after breaking his heart. 

He told the story of King Pratipa of Kuru and how she accepted being the wife of King Shantanu. She married him on one condition that he wouldn't ask her actions, the King accepted her and her condition.

And how she drowned her seven children one by one and the King saw it with his breaking heart. When she was about to drown her eighth son, the King asked her; by breaking his vow that why she is doing it. She has already conditioned upon him that he would not ask and if he would ask  she would immediately leave him. She took the child with him and after 25 years bring him back with all the knowledge of the world.