68: The Princess and the Pauper

Sparkles

Sparkles.

The place is filled with sparkles. My dress has a lot of sparkles too and there is one person who reminded me of them.

Reese.

She is my kind of Princess locked up inside her home for the half of her life and settled to watch the stars at night on our rooftop. And no, she never needed a thief who would climb up her tower to steal her tiara to take her in a night of full of floating lanterns by the river to save her life. At some point of her life, she became contented of just painting the sky and everything that looked marvelous under the sun.

But a Pauper never settled for less. She wanted her to see the beautiful things under the broad daylight. And that’s what she has been doing too for most of her life. She is saved multiple times by this Pauper.

That Pauper happened to be me. I may have a lot of masks in the pasts but being a Pauper was my first identity and will always be me until the end of time. The Pauper who was once blinded by a lot of things she viewed as a racer. But now, I am able to see things again because of the eyes of the Princess that she has been saving. Slowly, she is witnessing the real beauty of what life is. And that’s because her Princess keeps on saving her too.

I looked at my reflection and I feel like tearing up looking at myself in this long dress. My eyes shifted to that shimmering diamond ring  on my finger. I gripped on that bouquet of daffodils in my hands. A yellow flower that represents my yellow Hennessey sports car. Gaining my identity is the greatest achievement I made in my whole life. All of the masks I wore for years are now completely gone. And today, I am marrying the man who made me his first cargo to win in a race.

“Lisa.” I heard someone called me. I saw the reflection of my mother in the mirror. She smiled at me and I turned to look at her. She has a box in her hand and walks to me. “Thank you for inviting me to your wedding.”

I smiled and nodded. The day I went to her home with Jungshin, I honestly don’t know what to feel. I refused to see her because I can’t even remember the last time she acted like a Mother to me. All my life she made me felt that I am only a lamb for Reese to continue living. I am so used to raising my voice to her whenever she talks to me. So used to rolling my eyes whenever she reasons out why she only consider Reese as her only daughter.

We don’t have our own love language. I find it awkward if she talks to me in that soft voice she always have for Reese. But having Jungshin around is kinda making things easier. When Jungshin knew she was his Grandmother, the look on his face is indescribable. She had established a relationship with him from those times they ate pancake together and I am happy my son is accepting things in a certain way that an ordinary child may not understand. Mom apparently knows that Jungshin is a gifted child that is why she is also behind those offers from his Teachers to let him study higher education system.

I was afraid at first, to be honest. I don’t want to think that Mom might be repeating the history of how she controlled Reese with her gift of knowledge. But as times goes by, I can see how she genuinely loves my child and she is doing her best to work things out with me. Forgiving may be easy but forgetting is not. The traumas she caused my entire childhood is not easy to get over with.