Chapter LXVIII

THE VISIT

Always keep an open mind and an open heart, babe.

***

CHAPTER LXVIII

*****

“YEAH.”

“Haha. Yeah.”

He scratched the back of his neck and I looked at anywhere else but him. Suddenly he perked up and reached for the bag.

“I brought you a book,” he said, pulling an average sized novel and handing it to me.

Moat of the cover was white ahite snow covered tree tops and iced over roads, but in blood red writing read the title 'Winter Wars'.

“I know it's sounds like some horrific thing from the past or something,” Derek said, making me look up at him with an amused smile. “But it's actually really good. Here, look.”

He took the book from my hand and flipped the book open, skipping all the way to inside the back cover were the blurb was. He sat beside me and held it up as if I didn't have hands of me own let me silently read the blurb myself.

“The author covers a whole load of diverse topics. And it's fantasy. So expect magic.”

“Thanks, Derek,” I said, sighing tiredly. “I will.”

He placed it on the nightstand beside me before reaching for the bag again.

“I also brought a couple fruits because Morgan said you need them. I also brought some candy because what's the point of eating fruit if it isn't to combat the junk?”

I actually laughed, taking the bag from him and placing it at the side. “I don't think that's how it works.”

“Of course that's how it works. Fruits were made for a reason, right?”

I looked up at him, finding myself bursting into a fit of laughter after realising that he was only joking. “Derek, stop. I'm actually starting to believe you actually believe that.”

“But I do.”

I looked up, the smile slipping from my face as I took in the serious look on his. He was being serious?

“Derek, I—”

“Just fucking with ya,” he said, a careless smile breaking out onto his face as I let out a sigh of relief. “Believe me, I'm smarter than I look. There's actually brains in here.” He knocked on his skull before rolling his eyes. “Somewhere.”

The nurse walked in on me mid-snort and her lips quirked into a humoured smile at the sound of it.

“The psychologist is here to see you, Araceli,” the nurse said, opening the door for a tall brunette woman to walk in. Her skin was brown like she was from India or somewhere around that area and her dark hair was in ringlet curls that reached her mid back. On her body was a grey pencil skirt and a white, button up blouse with black six-inch heels on her feet.

All I could think was I wanted to have what she was having.

“Hi, Araceli. I'm Anita Khatri. How are you doing today?”

“Um,” i murmered, looking to Derek for help, but the nurse was beckoning him out, leaving me and Dr. Khatri alone in the room. “I'm fine. And you?”

Stupid idiot, why did you ask that? Did she ask you to ask that? This is an analysis on you, why are you asking the questions?

“I'm doing okay,” she smiled brightly, not sharing the same negative opinions about my fuckups with me. “If you don't mind, I'm act going to ask you some questions now.”