Chapter LXX

THE CHILD

Learn how to leave the unnecessary things behind, love.

***

Important A/N at the end

CHAPTER LXX

*****

STEPPING OUT OF the hospital for the first time in four days felt refreshing. I didn't know the last time I had been outside minus when I was rescued from the container, but I knew it had been long.

It was something that I felt humans took for granted sometimes. The ability to go outside, to feel the sun kiss your skin even when the clouds were out, to feel the cold, unfiltered air wrap you in its embrace and fill your lungs. When you're breathing it in, it's never too warm or too cold. Never too stuffy or too stiff. It was always just right.

I knew the date that I had been captured from my medical records and the date that I had been rescued, but I still didn't know how long I had been in captivity. I could easily do the math, but I didn't want to. The harsh reality was that there was a long time between those dates and I didn't want to think about it.

Not yet.

New York weather was miles different from the usual sun I was used to in California. It was autumn, so I really couldn't complain because I wasn't seeing the worst of it yet.

Leaves were just beginning to tinge warmer colours - there were a few yellows and reds among the greens - and the air was crisp as it blew past us in soft winds.

Whereas I would usually be wearing short skirts and shorts with sleeveless tops, I found myself in a pair of blue skinny jeans, a wooly top with a tank top underneath and some trainers.

Following behind Morgan and Derek towards the car, I couldn't help but wrap my arms around myself as I took in the new surroundings. Getting used to the hospital room wasn't so difficult - there was always too much going on for me to properly take notice of it and hospital rooms weren't that weird anyway.

Getting used to New York was what was going to give me a difficult time. There was so much I needed to do; I wanted to do. I had to get a job, but not while I was pregnant because I can't do anything else other than a desk job when I was pregnant.

And to do a desk job, I needed some kind of qualification. Me, a high school drop out, get a qualification? Pigs would fly the day that would happen.

It wasn't like I couldn't do it - I could. Before I was forced to leave school, I was in junior year. A grade above my normal age range because I excelled in academics. My abilities in art only brought my overall grade up, but all that went to shit because my mother had kicked me out.

All of that potential, the high grades and the scholarship opportunities had gone to shit because my mother - my own mother - lost faith in me.

I placed a hand on my stomach, shaking my head slightly. I would never ever do that to my child. I would offer him or her guidance and my opinion on things, but I would always always support them in whatever they chose to do with their life.

As a mother, it wasn't my job to tell my child what to do. It was my job to guide them and be there to help them whenever they needed it.

Unless I was leaving too, I would never kick my child out. Never. No matter what reason I had.

Snapping me out of my thoughts was Morgan placing a hand around my waist. I looked at her and she smiled warmly at me, almost as if she could feel the way tears were brimming my eyes and my heart was pounding heavily in my chest.