Chapter XXXI

THE REVELATION

You're not the stories made about you, sweetheart.

***

CHAPTER XXXI

*****

THE REST OF that Sunday had remained uneventful, and I found myself making the same mistake for the third time on three days later on Wednesday. The first two times were forgivable as I could just pin it down to naivety.

The third time though? It was just plain stupidity.

I, Araceli Constantine Cruz, did not have good days. So I had no idea why I made myself believe I did.

Even if it started off good, there was a ninety-nine point nine per cent chance that it would, most definitely, not end good. I got the rude awakening when the doorbell had rung and I, yet again, was the only possible person to answer it.

"Does nobody in this house know how to answer the damn door anymore?" I muttered angrily under my breath as I stormed over to the large front door and threw it open.

And like the last time this had happened, I had the overwhelming urge to slam it shut again.

"Hello, um... What did you say your name was again?"

"Araceli," I replied with a fake smile because unlike the raging bitch in front of me, I didn't have an inferiority complex. People forgetting my name was the least of my issues because I couldn't care less if you had the memory of my pet goldfish, may he rest in peace.

"Ah, Araceli," Samantha said, returning the fake smile as she stepped to the side to reveal two other girls. One had red flowing hair that I could tell was fake, because who couldn't? And the other had brown hair with golden streaks in her loose curls.

Looking at the gorgeous girls in front of me, I already knew what they were here for.

Or who more rather.

"Yes? Is there any way I can help you?" I asked, leaning against the door frame and not making room for them to come in. "Because if you haven't noticed, we're all very busy. Daniel's fiancée just came back from France and we're trying to make her feel welcome."

"That's actually the exact reason we came here," Samantha said, her voice coming out strained as she turned back to the two girls who looked nowhere as confident as she did. "We decided, as Daniel's good friends, to come congratulate him personally."

"That was horrendously nice of you, but you could've just left a Facebook message." I then made to close the door in their faces, but someone had called for my attention from behind me and I whipped around quickly to see who it was. There was a number of people that I was hoping it wouldn't be for my own personal safety.

"Who's at the door?" Celeste, the fiancée, asked me as I contemplated telling her or not. I mean, if I told her, she really couldn't hate me because it would look like I was on her side. But why would I treat Samantha and Co like that when I was just like them in this situation? Celeste had the upper hand and we were all just raging bitches drooling after her fiancé. She won and I would be achieving nothing.

I didn't get to make that choice, though, as Samantha barged her way in past me, effectively slamming me into the wall as if I weighed nothing. I glared at the back of the retreating girl's head as the two other girls walked in after her, none of them having the common decency to apologise for their friend's rude actions.

"Hi. I'm Samantha," she said as I straightened myself up and closed the door behind them.

Celeste stared at her outstretched hand before looking at her and completely ignoring it. "And I don't care. What are you doing here?"