Chapter LXIV

THE PORT

Some people don't deserve mercy, my love.

***

WARNING: Descriptions of r*pe and sexual assault. Read with caution.

CHAPTER LXIV

*****

WE CONTINUED TRAVELLING quietly for a few days, but I had lost track of how many - not that I ever knew anyway. All I knew was that many stops were made during those long days and girls were picked up and dropped off like parcels. It disgusted me, but what could I do about it?

They fed us occasionally. Not often, but I couldn't find it in me to complain because I knew that it was only going to get worse in the days to come.

At some point, the truck had pulled up and the men put sac bags over all of our heads before herding us out of it like sheep and leading us away. One man stood at the top of the line, pulling the girl at the front along by the arm so we would follow him. Another man stood at the end, making sure that the person at the back didn't lag behind or move too quickly.

The third man, the one that recognised me, stayed around the middle and ran back and forth to make sure that we all stayed in check. The surprising thing about it was that I could sense that the men were having quarrels with each other.

I didn't think it was anything important, but I was hoping that maybe it was something that we could use against them.

They put us all in cages like animals - eight girls to a cage before transporting us into a large cargo container.

The smell was foul and the air felt stuffy and hard to breathe. Once they had pulled the sack bag off, I realised why it was.

There were many more people in there with us. Mostly women but there was the occasional man too - either very young boys or strong looking men that weren't white. We were all caged in like animals to make room for whatever else they were going to put inside the container - probably illicit drugs.

My heart raced in my chest as I scanned my eyes over my surroundings. It made things so much more real - made me realise just how daunting everything was.

There were some people that lay on the floor, that looked like they weren't going to be moving for a very long time. Others were just skin and bones. In the far distance, a rat sniffing around a dead corpse, but nobody called it out or looked even the slightest bit upset.

Maybe they had all gotten used to it. Maybe thus was their normal.

"You," a loud voice boomed, calling for the attention of one of the girls in a cage with me. She was dark-skinned like me, but her complexion was much lighter and her brown hair was pin straight, only reaching her shoulders. She looked at him and he gestured for her to come out. "Come out here."

Reluctantly, the brunette crawled out of the open cage door. She made to stand up but the man pushed down on her shoulder and ripped the tape of her lips. I watched, confused at the interaction until his hands went to his zip and I realised what he was going to do.

"No. Wait. What are you doing? Stop," the girl whispered, almost as if she was silenced with the disbelief of the situation. The man chuckled and grabbed her head, making her squeeze her eyes shut as he voice got louder. "Please, don't. Please, no."

He whipped out his gun and aimed it between her eyes, making her instantly shut her mouth and as tears streamed down her cheeks.

"I don't remember asking you to speak," he said, making her cry harder and squeeze her brown lips together. "You know what to do. And if I don't like it, I'll shoot you so add enough tongue."