Chapter XLVII

THE CONFRONTATION

If you're constantly surrounded by assholes, maybe you're the problem, sweetheart.

***

WARNING: Completely and 100% unedited. Proceed with caution.

CHAPTER XLVII

*****

“Daniel.”

His heart stopped at the sound of her desperate voice calling out for him. He couldn't help but glare at the far wall, not focusing on any of the gadgets in front of him.

“He can't hear you, sweetheart,” he heard Antonio chuckle from the other side.

But he could. And he knew she knew he could. In that moment, he wondered if she would ever forgive him for what was happening; for purposely ignoring her when she so desperately needed him.

“Daniel, please. I don't want to do this anymore. Please, just come get me.”

He squeezed his eyes shut and rubbed his hand over his chest to stop the way his heart hurt at the sound of her voice.

What was wrong with him? Why was he suddenly feeling like this? He knew no harm would come to her, so why was the sound of her pained voice causing his heart to ache?

Was he—

No, he couldn't be. Not after her. He couldn't.

“Pablo,” she whispered. That's the only thing they could call it. A low, breathy whisper with no energy, showing that the drugs were starting to take affect on her. “I need you, Pablo. Hermano mayor. Just come get me.” [Big brother]

“Fuck,” Pablo drawled out, squeezing his eyes shut as he willed himself to stay there.

What am I fucking doing? He thought to himself. Why the fuck am I still here?

Pablo shot up, making to walk to wherever his hermanita was and rescue her, but Daniel shot him a sharp look. “Don't you fucking dare,” he said, his voice coming out icy as Pablo matched his stare. “Leave this room and I'll shoot your fucking ass.”

“She's suffering!” Pablo yelled, trying to prove a point that Daniel already knew.

“And she'll only suffer more if we don't catch the person who's trying to take her. This is a sacrifice that we all need to make if we want to ensure her safety in the future,” he said, reminding Pablo of the whole plan.

There was no point in sabotaging everything. They were so close to finally getting to the fucker who was trying to take Araceli and if she had already given up so much, it wouldn't be fair to end it like that.

With a reluctant sigh, he slumped back into the chair and listened.

For a while, all they could hear was Araceli's deep, troubled breathing with the occasional whimper for help here and there. It was difficult to sit through it, but they knew it had to be done. For her sake.

Suddenly, the sound of footsteps filled their ears and they listened closely to whatever Antonio was saying. He was obviously still clueless about the fact that he was being recorded.

“Boss is a real idiot if he thinks I'm going to let something so beautiful go to waste,” they heard him say lowly, as if whispering to her. “How about we make the most of the small amount of time we have left together, Venom? You don't have to worry. I'll put you to good use.”