Chapter L

THE DELIVERANCE

Give kindness and you will always receive it, babe.

***

WARNING: Yall, the wars between religion ended years ago. Please do not bring that shit back in the wattpad comment section. I know to some this chapter might be controversial but the truth of the matter is that my characters are Catholic and that's all there is to it. Nothing more, nothing less. I've written atheist characters, I've written characters that worship many different gods. One day when I'm more educated on Islam, I'll write Muslim characters. Please, respect your beliefs but respect other people's as well. Thanks.

CHAPTER L

*****

The gravel beneath the tires crunched as Daniel parked in the empty space before the grand, stone building before us. I felt my mind blur with confusion as my brows furrowed.

“A church?” I asked, turning to him. “You brought me to a church?” I found a slow, teasing smile spread onto my face as I watched him take off his seat belt. “You're not planning on marrying me, are you?”

He turned to me with a smirk and a single brow raised. “Do you want me to?”

I gasped dramatically and placed a hand over my mouth. “Yes, Daniel, I will marry you.” I then looked around as if searching for something before looking at him with an expression of mock confusion. “Where's the engagement ring?”

He chuckled, letting me see one of his rare smiles before shaking his head and opening the door. “Come on.”

I peeled off my seat belt and followed him out, running over the gravel road to join him as he walked towards the front doors. He pushed the large, wooden doors open without a thought and stepped into the brightly lit Chapel with me on his heels.

I stared on with wonder and awe. The ceilings were high and arching with golden chandeliers hanging from them and beautiful murals detailing heaven. The walls were made of stone, but it was warm and toasty inside, almost like I was under a warm duvet. On the walls were different pictures, illustrating Jesus's life, death and resurrection and at the front, near the alter, was a large sculpture of Mary and baby Jesus.

We walked along the carpeted aisle towards the front steps that led to the alter where a priest in white robes had his head bowed in silent prayer.

We were the only ones there and I felt creeped out by how silent everything was. I was only ever at church when other people were there and even though it was quiet, I was always reminded that I wasn't alone because of the odd cough here and there. It was the dead of night and no one else was with us.

The priest did the sign of the cross before he looked straight at us as if he always knew we had been there. I was sure we were exceptionally quiet, but he still seemed to have heard us.

He cast Daniel a warm smile as he made his way away from the alter and closer to us. “Daniel,” he said, his voice soft and even as he took us both in. “How many years has it been since I last saw you?”

“Many,” Daniel answered cryptically, only eliciting a calm laugh from the priest.

“I see you haven't changed at all.” Daniel actually smiled at that even though to any normal person, he would've just rolled his eyes and ignored them. The priest turned to me and offered his hand out to me for a handshake which I took softly. “May I have your name?”