Chapter XIV

THE OFFICE, PT. 1

Your words will always have power, babe. Be careful with what you say.

***

CHAPTER XIV

*****

YOU'RE PLANNING TO go to church looking like that?”

“Yeah? What's wrong?”

“Araceli! That is way too revealing,” Emma yelled as I rolled my eyes at her antics.

“When God created Adam and Eve, he didn't give them any clothes,” I said as she let out a huff of annoyance and turned away from me. “In fact, they only started wearing clothes when they disobeyed God's wishes and felt ashamed. They wore clothes because they had something to hide.”

Emma froze for a second and just stared at herself in the mirror before slowly turning around and staring at me. “I have many issues with what you just said,” she said as I folded my arms across my chest and gave her a challenging look. “But I think my biggest one is the fact that a part of me agrees with you.”

I gave her a victorious smile and turned to the full length mirror, deciding to reconsider my outfit instead of basking in my minor win. I wore a dark blue high waisted skirt that reached my mid-thigh and a plain white crop top with short sleeves and a swoop neckline. The outfit only revealed a tiny bit of my stomach and not much of my chest, but a lot of my legs and arms.

“Do you think it really is revealing?” I asked as I began to doubt my confidence.

“No,” Emma said, rolling her eyes as she opened the door to leave. “Be Adam and Eve.” And then she left.

I huffed and pulled on my white sneakers before grabbing the light, grey cardigan sitting on the chair and throwing it on over my shoulders. I followed Emma out of her room and ran down the hallway after her until I was walking by her side.

She was wearing a large NY shirt tucked into her own denim skirt and grey vans.

“I mean,” I began as she opened the front door and walked towards the outdoors garage. “It's not like what you're wearing isn't a little revealing either.”

“It is revealing. But you know what I'm not going to do? Go for confession. That's what,” she said as she walked up to the driver who was standing under the canopy.

I rolled my eyes as she began conversing with him and looked around the open garden. The sun beat down heavily on the large courtyard and, while the people hid away behind the shade, the large trees and flower bushes thrived and flourished. A lot of them even looked like they were going to start growing fruit soon.

“Emma?” I snapped my gaze towards where the voice was coming from and felt my heart flutter once I realised it was Daniel. He was dressed casually in a pair of dark jeans and a white, body hugging t-shirt.

He paid no attention to me even though I couldn't be anymore obvious with my flashy white top and instead kept his focus on his sister as she turned to look at him.

“Daniel! Araceli and I were going to head into town. Did you want to use this car?” she asked him.

At the mention of my name, his eyes finally met mine and I felt my breath hitch as he took his time to take in my 'revealing' outfit.

Without a word spoken to me, he diverted his attention back to his sister and I was pushed to the sidelines as the two siblings conversed. I ignored the aching feeling in my chest and instead turned back to my surroundings again.