Chapter LVIII

THE GOSSIP

Not everything is always black and white, love. Life isn't a newspaper.

***

CHAPTER LVIII

*****

I WALKED INTO Daniel's room, wanting to take a warm shower to help soothe my aching stomach. I didn't want to talk to Daniel about seeing a doctor mainly because I didn't want to talk to Daniel.

End of.

I also didn't feel as bad as I thought I could be. I mean, I wasn't in crippling pain, unable to move, sobbing for someone to take me to the hospital. I was fine. Or at least that was what I wanted to believe.

The truth was Lola didn't do as much damage as she probably thought she did. Her kicks were more targeted towards my ribs than my stomach and she only got one proper kick to my abdomen before I rolled onto the other side. I was fine.

Or maybe I wasn't. I just didn't want bad news.

Daniel looked up at me from his sofa, a look of complete exhaustion on his face. If it were before this, I probably would've wanted to wrap my arms around him and comfort him, but now I just wanted to wrap my arms around him and strangle him.

“Are you okay?”

Without looking to him or even properly acknowledging him, I continued on my way to the bathroom. “You don't care so don't ask.” And then I slammed the door shut behind, taking a deep breath once I was finally alone to gather my thoughts.

I walked over to the basin and looked into the mirror, having my reflection stare right back at me. I didn't know if it was me I was looking at or if it was a zombie.

It seemed like I hadn't slept in days with dark bags under my bloodshot eyes and even through my dark complexion, my cheeks were tinged red and were puffy from me rubbing at them to wipe my tears away. I tried lifting my lips into a smile, but the frown remained permanent, only matching the deep sadness I could see in my eyes.

They filled with unshed tears as I squeezed my hands into fists.

What was wrong with me? Why couldn't I just have good things? Why couldn't some good happen and then nothing else would happen after that? Why did the world hate me so much?

Why did I hate myself so much?

Fuck, I was a bag of constant negativity.

I stared at my reflection and willed myself to smile because I needed to be happy. People would run away if I was too sad all the time or too angry or—

Fuck, what was the point of caring anymore? What was the point of giving a shit about what other people thought of me? The truth of the matter was I was Araceli and I was very fucking sad. Most of the time. I needed help, but my cry for it remained silent.

How did I even know if someone cared? Obviously, I didn't know people. After how long, I finally realised that I really didn't know people. So why did I make myself believe that they cared? That Anna cared? Than Daniel cared?

Nobody cared! Not even me.

“Your friends are your enemies and your enemies are your friends.”

What did he mean by that? Was I trusting the wrong people? Obviously I was. I trusted him, but maybe... maybe he wasn't the only one that was ready to stab me in the back if the opportunity presented itself.