Chapter X

THE FIGHT

Don't waste your energy on pointless people, babe.

***

Warning: Violence

CHAPTER X

*****

IT WASN'T UNTIL a few days later that they took Daniel out of the ICU. A couple days after that and he was back with a full cast around his arm. Weeks later, the cast was removed and a home nurse visited every second day to change the bandages. As time went on her visits became shorter and shorter and more time was put between them.

Until she stopped visiting at all.

Months later, Daniel was finally back to normal. Or as normal as he could get with 'permanent nerve damage'.

I didn't notice any difference.

His full recovery suddenly became the subject of every gossip session in the house and I was no exception.

“Did you hear that boss is better again?” A friend of mine, Anna-Maria, asked as we both cleaned the kitchen.

I looked away from my mopping and frowned at her. “Of course I did. Everyone has,” I huffed. “Plus, I was literally there when he got shot. They wouldn't want to keep me in the dark.”

She stopped wiping the tables and looked at me with a grin. “You never told us what happened on the trip, by the way. We still want to know.”

My stomach dropped with dread as I thought back to Vincent. Ever since I got back, he was what kept me up at night. It was a constant battle with my conscience. Every time I felt like I had a minute to breathe, my mind would just scream about how I had blood on my hands and I could never be a normal person.

I never was, but just thinking back to the brutal way I killed him always made my stomach lurch with disgust at myself.

I guess I had reached the stage that Guillermo described. The stage where I realised I didn't care and then I got pissed at myself for not caring. I was scared though.

He told me that at one point, I would stop feeling completely and I didn't know what to think. Because some days, I already believed that I didn't feel things as much as I should.

I shook my head at Anna and turned back to cleaning. “I haven't told you because it's really not important. It was boring.”

I wished.

“Boring and boss comes back with a gaping bullet hole and is fighting for his life? If that was boring, I would never want excitement,” she said, dropping her sponge and sitting at the island. She beckoned me over before continuing. “Something tells me that you just don't want to tell me what happened.”

Before I could respond and confirm her hypothesis, a third voice joined the party from the doorway.

“What else do you think happened?” Lola asked as she walked into the kitchen with two other girls. They started setting up dinner. “Boss obviously only brought her with him so he could whore her out. I mean, who wouldn't want a cheap whore like her?” As she walked around gathering ingredients, I couldn't help but wish that she would slip, fall and break her neck. “No wonder she wouldn't tell any of us a thing.”

“Shut up, Lola,” Anna-Maria muttered. She placed her hands on my clenched fists and I slowly released them. I looked at the red marks my nails left in my palm and shook my head.