Chapter LXV

THE INTERROGATION

There is nothing wrong with focusing on yourself, sweetheart.

***

CHAPTER LXV

*****

“Open your mouth!”

I peeled my eyes open, feeling confused at my surroundings. I was still in the container, everything was as it was and nothing seemed to have changed except this time time, I was the one on my knees.

With my hands tied behind my back, I turned to look at the man in front of me. His face was leering and his zipper was undone with his boxers pulled down to reveal what should have been his penis.

“Put it in your mouth.”

I looked back up at him, fear swarming in my stomach as I realised that it had all been a dream. A hopeful delirium. A mirage as some would say.

Apparently, I had taken too long to answer, and before I could even start pleading for my life, he had fired the gun and the sound of the bullet reverberated around the metal walls.

I shot up, snapping my eyes open as I looked around at my surroundings again.

I was alone. And I wasn't in the big, metal, rectangular box anymore.

I was in a... hospital room.

I was almost sure that I was dreaming about being rescued. So sure that I was willing to believe that my mind was still playing tricks on me. But then the door opened again and a policewoman accompanied by a policeman let themselves in.

The man made a beeline towards the corner of the room and the woman took a seat near the side of my bed as I watched them with suspicion. The lady smiled at me and extended her hand, but I shifted away from her, staring down at her extended hand as if it was going to hurt me if I wasn't careful.

She didn't seem affected by my response and instead turned to her partner, checking to see if he was documenting the whole interaction. He was writing into his notepad furiously so I assumed he was.

“I'm officer Nora Campbell, but you can just call me Nora. What's your name, sweetie?” she asked, but I still didn't respond.

I gulped, looking down at my hands. Should I trust her or should I not? What if this was all just a test that Daniel was giving me? What if he knew exactly where I was and he was testing me to see if I would speak up?

“Do you want me to get you some paper so you can write your name down?” she asked, but I gulped and shook my head.

“My name is Araceli,” I answered, having to clear my throat since it was croaky and scratched from lack of use.

“Hello, Araceli,” Nora said, smiling at me. “My partner, Paul,” she gestured to the man standing in the corner. “And I just want to ask you a few questions in regards to the incident. Do you remember what happened? Or am I not making sense to you?”

“I know what you're talking about,” I said before looking to them with fierce eyes. “I don't have amnesia.”

One more thing to add to my list of blessings. But maybe memories right now seemed to be a curse.

“That's good. We're just going to ask you some questions regarding that.”

Even as she spoke, I heard nothing. All I could think about was that dark place with that poor girl and those awful, awful people. I hoped the other people in the container with me were okay. I hoped they were all brought to really good hospitals and were being taken care of. I hoped she especially received all the love and care in the world.