Chapter LIX

THE PROMISE

It's okay to let people in, my love.

***

CHAPTER LIX

*****

"EMMA!"

There was something about how Daniel's voice broke that made my heart ache in my chest. I could only stand and foolishly watch from the doorway as both Pablo and Daniel rushed to Emma, he was sitting in the empty, porcelain bathtub, unconscious.

"Go away."

Or maybe not.

"What the fuck did you do?" Daniel sounded angry, but I could only see how his eyes filled with pain and worry as he yanked his younger sister out of the the tub. "What did you take?"

He didn't focus on one question and instead turned his attention to me. "Call the hospital. Tell them it's an emergency."

"I'll go get the (vomiting syrup)," Pablo said, speaking up for the first time since he had come on.

I followed him out of the bathroom and instead rushed to the nearest phone which was sitting on her bed. I picked it up and swiped but cursed as I was immediately hit with a password screen.

Knowing how her phone worked, I rushed back into the bathroom. Daniel was on his knees and had her head in his lap, holding her upright so if she puked, she wouldn't choked on it. He kept talking to her, engaging her in conversation to keep her conscious even while I pressed her thumb against the home button.

The screen lit up immediately and I hit the call button before finally realising that I didn't have to do all that and I could've just made an emergency call. I didn't have time to beat myself up about it. I dialled nine-nine-nine and pressed the phone to my ear as it started to ring. It didn't take longer than five seconds before someone answered, but it felt like it had been centuries.

"Nine-nine-nine, what's your-"

"I think she's dying."

"Okay, miss? I'm going to need you to calm down and explain to me what's happening?" the responder said in a soothing tone, making me take a deep breath even though it had no affect on me. "Now, what is your situation and who is dying?"

"My friend. I think she took some pills. Overdosed on them. I don't... Um."

"Okay,sweetheart, we're putting you through to an emergency team right now," she said in that same calm and soothing voice that did absolutely nothing for me. "Do you know what pills she may have took?"

I walked back into the room and picked up the empty orange bottle before flipping it over so I could read the label. With trembling fingers, I read off the long name that I knew was a common sleeping pill, but I could hardly pronounce.

"Do you know how many of them she took?"

"I don't know, but the bottle was half-through and now it's empty."

"How long has it been since she took the pills?"

"I don't know. I don't know. I just found her lying in the bathtub."

"What's the dosage in each pill?" the lady asked, making me get fed up with the millions of questions. The more she asked, the less we were getting down.

"I don't know. Is the team on their way now?" I asked, switching it around so I could finally get some answers.

"Yes, but it may take a while since you're far out." My stomach dropped at her words and the panic that was only beginning to fade away hit me again. I watched cautiously as Pablo came running in with a bottle of (syrup) in his hands. He handed it to Daniel who unscrewed it immediately and tipped a genorous amount down her throat.