Chapter LXII

THE BAD DOCTOR

Being strong is knowing you can't always be strong and accepting that, darling.

***

CHAPTER LXII

*****

I HATED WAKING up.

It was starting to become too tasking and I always found myself wishing that the day would end again so I could go back to sleep.

Waking up this time was very different to any like I had experienced. All the walls were white and there wasn't a single window in sight. There was a constant beeping in my ear and I groaned, raising my hand to switch off my alarm, but groaned again when I ended up pushing something on wheels away from me instead.

What I found weird was that it tugged on my arm the further it went and with blurry vision, I turned onto my side to see that it was an IV hook. I was connected to a bag filled with clear liquid at the top and I tried to read the black printed words, but sighed when my stupid eyes couldn't see it.

Behind the IV was a heart monitor - the source of the constant beeping in the room. I had half the mind to try and turn it off, but I decided against it because I was in a hospital and I wasn't too sure if it was me or another patient that it was connected to. Not that that would make much sense, but I had just woken up from the longest sleep of my life.

Nothing ever made sense.

I was in an ugly hospital gown with a disgusting light blue, dark blue and green design and I resisted the urge to puke. It was only after I had made the third questionable noise of the day in response to my pounding head that I realised I wasn't in the room alone.

Two guards, both of them stationed at the door, watched me with blank faces as I flailed around half-heartedly on the bed. I knew I should have respected myself in that moment and turned the other way, but I was extremely tired and sleep deprived at the same time and I found myself smiling and waving excitedly to them.

The tip of the guy with blonde hair's lips went upward slightly, but apart from that, I got no reaction from them. I would have said something if I had the strength to, but I could barely roll onto my side, I was so tired.

That was when a lady with brown hair and the most hideous looking green scrubs walked into the room with a large clear bag of red liquid. She smiled at my conscious state and addressed me.

“Hi, sweetheart.” I took an instant liking to her. Her voice was nice. “I'm just going give you your blood bag now.”

I watched her with confused eyes as she walked around me and started setting up the IV. “Like...” I paused, having to take a deep breath because I had over-exerted myself with the one question. “Like a vampire?”

The nurse smiled as I thought out loud, but said nothing. She took my arm and unscrewed the tap looking thing for the first IV bag before using a syringe to send a clear liquid into the viens.

It stung a bit, but I didn't react either because I was too tired to react or I was too tired to feel the pain.

“Woosh,” I commented like my own personal sound effects as I felt the liquid rush up my viens. I wondered what it was doing in there. Was it mixing with my blood? Was it washing me from the inside? “I need to...” the nurse looked at me briefly as she screwed on the tap for the blood bag, connecting the red pipe to me. “I need to pee.”

And like that, I passed out again.

***

The bitter truth of the matter was that I pissed myself.