Prologue

HIM

No matter what happens, sweetheart, never deny yourself the ability to give and receive love.

***

PROLOGUE

*****

Chaos.

Chaos was the only word I could use to describe what was happening all around me. People were dying, things were falling apart and I was pretty sure a part of the house was on fire.

But I could only focus on one thing. Through the midst of the chaos and the heartache and the death, I couldn't see anything else except for him.

He was lying on a stretcher, his usually tan skin becoming paler and paler by the minute. They wheeled him into an ambulance and closed the door behind him before hopping into the front seat and driving away.

It was all wishful thinking, though. All of it was wishful thinking.

He wasn't going to make it. Everyone knew it. The paramedics knew it. He was going to die.

And I was at fault.

"No!"

My heart lurched in my chest as I watched the ambulance drive further and further into the distance. Fat tears trailed down my cheeks and sob after sob ripped through me as the guilt and the loss slowly started to eat me up. "No! No! Not him! Why him?"

I knew she couldn't hear me, but a part of me wished she could. I thought she understood when I said Daniel was innocent, but she hated him. She wanted to kill him!

I helped her escape so she would go find herself a better life. Not so she would come back and take her revenge out on innocent people. And yet, there Daniel was with a bullet hole in his chest left by her. The woman he loved the most.

She had betrayed him. Morgan had betrayed him.

Even though, for me, it would've been better that he hated her, I couldn't help but feel angry at what she did. I loved Daniel with all my heart. I cried when he cried. I smiled when he smiled. I wanted to see him happy. I didn't want to see him hurt, whether that was emotional or physical.

And yet, when she had told her boyfriend to deliver the shot that would ultimately kill him, I watched both happen with my own two eyes.

Pablo took me into his arms, but I roughly pulled away. I didn't deserve comfort from anybody. Not after what I had done. "No! Don't touch me!

I collapsed onto my knees, letting the screams of pain and terror rock through me and shake me until I was left whimpering on the floor with my back to the wall. We were supposed to have evacuated by now. Lucien's orders, but both Pablo and I were still there.

He wouldn't leave without me, I knew it.

"I killed him," I whispered to myself, staring at my own hands in horror. "I killed him."

I shouldn't have helped her escape. I knew only bad things would come out of it, but my heart was too big and I was too trusting.

And now he was dead.

Pablo crouched down in front of me and took my face in his hands, forcing me to meet his eyes as he stared at me sternly.

"You didn't kill him."

But he didn't know what happened. And if I valued my life, he shouldn't know either. I kept my mouth shut, deciding that for as long as I lived, nobody would ever learn about what transpired between Morgan and I.

A man had died for my own sins and for that I would never forgive myself. I would torture myself with my secret. I would be buried with only me knowing what happened.

"He's going to be fine," Pablo said, breaking me out of my thoughts as the tears still streamed down my cheeks. "Daniel doesn't die easy. He'll be fine."

I didn't believe him.

But I should have because the next day, in a completely new house, we got news that he had been taken out of the ICU. And that in only a few short months, he would be back to us.

That was the day when I realised that there was no one better suited for his job than Daniel. He was favoured by something more powerful than us and he really couldn't be killed easily.

But his faith in humanity could and even though he came back to us alive, he was more dead than ever. Daniel hated the world and nothing scared him anymore.

Not even death.

His hatred was cruel and raged on like flames, and yet his demeanour was icy.

Daniel was cold to the world; indifferent.

I wanted to change that. I was going to change that. At any cost it came at. It was the least I could do because I was the reason why he died.

*****

And so the story begins...