Chapter XLIII

THE GOODBYES

Focus on the present moment, sweetheart. The past is history and the future is only make-believe.

***

CHAPTER XLIII

*****

I HELPED DANIEL tie his tie with delicate fingers after I had cleaned myself up. I assumed it was the most I could do for him after purposely rumpling up his shirt so he wouldn't have to go.

Once I had stepped away, he walked towards the sofa and picked up his suit jacket. He put it on as I walked towards his desk and picked up his briefcase, ready to hand it to him when he needed it.

He turned around to me, a smirk growing on his face as he took me in from head to toe.

“What?” I asked, feeling uncomfortable.

He only shook his head, not giving me a verbal answer and took the briefcase from me. He placed it down on the table before turninbg back to me, but I turned away because I didn't want him to see my smile slipping.

I really didn't want him to leave.

“Do you want anything?” he asked, but I only shook my head and continued staring at my feet.

I stood there, letting the silence of the room eat me up. I could feel his stare on me, but I didn't look up until he let out a loud sigh and stepped closer to me.

“You won't even miss me.”

You don't know that. I bit back that remark and instead bit hard on my lower lip, willing the lump in my throat to fade. Why did I care so much? It's not like he was dying or something.

He took my chin in his hand and raised my head up so he could finally look into my eyes. He used his thumb to wipe away the single tear that had trickled down my cheek and said, “I'll be back before you notice.”

“Okay.”

I didn't want to drag this on because the longer he stayed, the more upset I was working myself up to be. Before he pulled away, he bent down and placed his lips on mine, making me raise myself onto my toes and wrap my arms around his neck. He tried to pull away, but I pulled him down for another kiss and placed my hand on his jaw as he squeezed my waist in warning.

“Don't give me a reason to drop everything and fuck you again,” he said, his voice coming out low as he pulled me away.

Not heeding any of his warnings because they weren't really warnings to me, I leaned in again and began peppering kisses along his neck, making him groan and grab my ass.

“I'm not joking with you, Lee,” he said, squeezing my ass roughly. “You won't like what I'll do if I take my jacket off.”

He pulled me away again, but this time I didn't fight him and glared at him instead. “Why do you keep calling me that? That's not my name.”

“What is your name?” he asked, taking a step back from me as I narrowed my eyes at him. Was he trying to tell me that he didn't know my name?

“Araceli.”

He looked at me as if I was missing something before rolling his eyes. “What is your name?”

I crossed my arms over my chest. “Ah-rah-ceh-l—oh!”

He shook his head but said nothing and instead pulled me into him by my hips. He placed his hand on either side of my head and held my face, forcing me to look at him and only him.