Chapter XXIX

THE ATTEMPT

Learn to stand up for yourself or nobody else will, love.

***

CHAPTER XXIX

*****

EMMA STARED AT me blankly for a couple of seconds before her face scrunched up into a disgusted sneer and she ripped her hands out of mine.

"You slut," she spat out with so much hatred, I couldn't help but flinch back. "How can you sit here and pretend to be a friend when you've been sneaking around with the groom the whole time?"

"I-I don't know," I stuttered out, feeling the tears start trailing down my cheeks.

"Don't you dare start with your fake tears," she sneered at me. "You always whip them out to make yourself look like the victim but this is all on you."

I sniffled trying to hold it back as she glared at me.

"How long has this been going on for?"

"A couple weeks maybe?" I answered, shrugging as I avoided her eyes.

"And you've just been-God," she cut herself off, running her hands through her hair as she paced up and down the showroom in obvious anger. "Is it for the money? Is that why?"

I snapped my eyes up to meet hers, shaking my head from side to side. "No! I lo-"

"Shut up!" she cut me off, not allowing me the chance to speak. "That's all whores like you ever do. Daniel is an idiot. Only fucking thinks with his dick."

I couldn't see why she had to insult me, but I kept my mouth shut and let her feel her anger. After all, she didn't force me to start sleeping with her brother so I couldn't blame the consequences of my actions on her.

"And you're just sitting there as a bridesmaid as if nothing happened," she hissed at me.

"I didn't have a choice."

"You need to tell her."

My eyes went wide and my heart stopped beating in fear. "No, I can't."

"Yes, you can. You're literally making a fool of Celeste by being a bridesmaid in her face but sleeping with her husband behind her back." She gave me a harsh glare. "Either you tell her or I will."

"What are you guys doing?"

I quickly shot up and turned around, heading towards the nearest dress so she didn't suspect anything. "Oh, I was just thinking this dress looks nice."

I wiped away the remnants of my tears discreetly before turning around and holding up the dress with a fishtail and light blue to dark blue fade design.

"No offense, Ara, but that's ugly," Celeste said, turning around looking for a different dress on a different rack.

"Yeah, you're right." I let out an awkward laugh as I hung the dress back onto the the rack, happy that she didn't hear anything.

"I'm so glad that Daniel is marrying you, Celeste," I heard Emma's voice say from behind me. I turned around to look at her and she glared at me almost instantly, making turn away. "I think you're the best fit for him. You're smart, you're educated, you're pretty. He could honestly do no wrong with you."

"Aww, what makes you say that?" Celeste asked as she gave her a short, side hug.

"I just wanted you to know. If something ever happens, just don't give up on him because you're a good thing and good things are rare occurrences these days. You'll make Daniel happier than he's ever been."