Chapter XIX

THE THREAT

The best answer to a fool is always silence, sweetheart.

***

CHAPTER XIX

*****

YOU HAVE A fiancée?” was the first thing that came out of my mouth.

My question shocked me just as much as I hoped it shocked him because I was really only expecting two types of reactions from myself.

A calm one where I would quietly relay his father's message onto him so I could get out of there as quick as possible or a terribly explosive one where I would rain curses and insults onto him without a single thought for my life.

I didn't expect to outright ask him for his version on things, but there we both were anyway.

He actually had the audacity to look confused as if he had no idea what I was talking about for a few seconds before a look of realisation dawned on his face and he rolled his eyes.

“Sure. If that's what we're calling it.”

“Why didn't you tell me?” I asked with a frown as I clutched the phone to my chest.

“And why would I do that?”

“Because I helped you cheat on your fiancée!” I exclaimed, feeling like I was having a conversation with a brick wall. I was almost sure that a rock would have been more straightforward than he was.

“You didn't help me cheat on anybody,” he said, not taking me seriously and going back to look through papers on his desk.

“Yes, I did. I sle—” he suddenly grabbed my neck, but didn't apply any pressure and turned me to face him as I shut up obediently.

“Either tell me my father's message or shut up and get out,” he said, his voice low as I gulped down the small amount of fear I felt in that moment.

With a swift nod, I began talking. “He said that he called to let you know that he was coming over with your fiancée in two days.”

Daniel released my neck and I took a step back as he let out a loud exhale. “Shit.”

“Should I get the guest rooms ready?” I asked as he snapped his fierce eyes to me.

Instead of making eye contact, I dropped my gaze to the silver rosery hanging loosely on his neck. For some reason, it only drew me to him more.

“You know you ask stupid fucking questions, right?”

I looked up from his chain around his neck and met his brown eyes with my eyebrows scrunched in confusion. “Was that rhetorical?”

He placed a hand on his forehead and dragged it down his face. “You asked that in your own complicated way of telling me you do. Just agree.”

“Okay,” I nodded my head. “Yeah. Sure. Let's go with that.”

We stayed in silence after that as I watched him expectantly.