Chapter XXLIX

THE AILMENT

The best liars are the ones that believe their own fantasies.

***

CHAPTER XXLIX

*****

Daniel walked into the room the next day, a classy suit adorning his body as I sat up in my bed.

I felt unwell. Even though I was still extremely exhausted for whatever reason I had to be, I couldn't get a wink of sleep. My thoughts roared in my head and it caused my stomach to constantly churn with anxiety, keeping me up at night.

Daniel fixed his cuffs, not looking up at me as he made his way to his nightstand to pick up his watch.

“Are you going to a meeting?”

He looked up at the sound of my voice, his eyes widening as if only realising that I was there then.

“Why are you awake?” he asked, not answering my question. Looking out the curtain, I could see that the sun was only beginning to rise, but I didn't care.

“I couldn't sleep,” I answered quietly before asking again. “Are you going to a meeting?”

He rolled his eyes and turned back to fixing his Rolex around his wrist. “I am.” He then looked at me, his deep brown eyes staring intensely into mine. “I'll be back by four.”

Four? It couldn't be anything past five in the morning and he was trying to tell me that he wasn't going to return until eleven hours later? He was most likely going to take Pablo and then I would be alone in this huge villa home with no one to talk to and nothing to do. Sure he had guards but his guards didn't look very nice.

“C—”

“No.”

I folded my arms and glared at the back of his head as he turned his attention to his phone. “You don't even know what I was going to say.”

“Speak.”

I was tempted to change my question, but I closed my eyes and shook my head instead.

“Can I come with you?”

He turned around to face me, his infamous smirk on his face as he advanced towards me. “No.”

“Daniel,” I whined, about to protest, but he spoke over me.

“I'm not arguing with you on this,” he said calmly, making me huff and cross my arms over my chest. “Someone will be bringing your friend over later today. Do you want to miss that?”

“Wait, Anna?”

“Do you have any other friends?”

I pouted up at him as he took a seat in front of me. “You didn't have to call me out like that.” He laughed and shook his head, making a warm feeling swarm my stomach.

I loved the sound of his laugh.

“When will she be here?”

He checked his watch before looking back up at me. “Around twelve.”

What was I going to do on my own until twelve o'clock?

I placed my hand on my stomach, feeling it growl as I rolled my eyes. I shouldn't have skipped dinner, but I really didn't feel well.

“There's a dress in the closet,” Daniel said, changing the subject. I snapped my head up to look at him. “I want you to wear it when I get back. I'm taking you out.”