Chapter XLV

THE JOB

Don't set yourself alight to keep other people warm, sweetheart.

***

CHAPTER XLV

*****

The warm wind tickled my face, making a smile lift to my lips as both Anna and I stepped off the plane. There were two guards in front of us, and two behind and Pablo had ended up accompanying us too making me feel like a celebrity.

“Wow,” Anna said from behind me, making me whip around to look at her. “It's warmer than I thought it would be.”

I eyed her long sleeve white top and frowned. “Yeah. It does tend to be warm in Spain.”

Noticing my dig at her for her stupid outfit choice, she rolled her eyes and shoved past me, bringing her hand carry along with her.

Most of the passengers that we were on the plane with us were all filing onto a shuttle bus, but Pablo and the guards walked the opposite direction, making Anna and I follow them unsurely.

Not too far away from where we got off the plane were two sleek black cars with tinted windows. They were parked parallel each other, idly waiting to drive off.

“Anna, you get in that car,” Pablo said, pointing at the car farthest away from us. “A driver will betaking you to the hotel.”

Both Anna and I shared a look before turning back to him.

“Where am I going?” I asked, peering up at him as he held the door of the other car open for me to get in.

Pablo rolled his eyes, not responding to my question. He instead waited impatiently for me to get into the car.

Without a word, I cast one last look towards Anna before stepping into the car. She waved at me from outside and then got into her car too.

Pablo got in with me, sitting on the other side of the backseat as the driver started the car and drove off the airport runway. I looked out the back window, watching how the other black car followed behind us up until we reached an intersection. We turned left, driving off the motorway whereas they continued straight ahead.

I turned back around and stared out the side window with eyes wider than watermelons and my jaw dropped in awe.

Even though the motorway exit was littered with other cars, vans and trucks, beyond the tarred roads were fields of the greenest grass that stretched on for miles. The panels of the few windmills on the field spun lazily in the warm heat, almost like a labourer fatigued after a long day in the sun.

A part of me wondered why they didn't use solar panels, but I kept my concerns to myself. Instead, I rolled down the window, letting the warm wind whip through my blown out hair.

It smelt and tasted different. Like sea salt.

That's when realisation had finally dawned on me and I turned around to Pablo, my eyes wide as the view of the horizon over a large body of water came into sight. We were on a large hill, driving into a small seaside town and the fields were being replaced with small, colourful beach homes.

“What are we doing here, Pablo?”

He looked up, his eyes wide as if only just realising I was with him. I raised an eyebrow, but he ignored the questioning look and answered me.

“Daniel is meeting someone here.” My stomach flipped at the sound of Daniel's name, but I kept quiet and let him finish speaking. “He needs you to help him with... His business partner.”