Chapter IV

THE RECRUITMENT

Ask yourself if it's worth it, hun.

***

CHAPTER IV

*****

DANIEL OWNED MANY homes scattered across the country. The one we were headed to was by far, more lavish than the one I was so used to working in.

It was a sleek modern home with a flat roof and only one floor. It's windows we're large and overlooked the beautiful gardens he had surrounding the home and the colours were minimalistic. Just dark greys, brown oak and green vegetation.

It wasn't as large as Vincent's mansion, but the modern touch let me know that it was just as expensive.

“Now take care of him,” the doctor said through the phone as we all got out of the car and slammed the door shut. “Keep a constant eye on his wounds because without care, they can easily get infected. Make sure the stitches stay intact and as soon as you get back, take him to your nearest clinic immediately,” the doctor told us as we nodded religiously at the speaker phone. Daniel only rolled his eyes and fished for the keys in the nearby plants. She had just finished tending to his bullet wound after Pablo had called for her help and after leaving her house, we drove a few minutes away to this house that he owned.

“Okay. Thank you, Sarah. You've helped us tremendously,” Guillermo said, taking back his phone and switching it off loud speaker as he finished off the call and ended it.

“Nobody tell her that we're not going home anytime soon,” Daniel snorted as he threw the door open and let himself in. Within seconds he was lounging on the sofa with his hand over his eyes. He was pretty doped up on morphine, so we didn't think he felt the pain as bad anymore.

“We're not going home tomorrow?” I asked Pablo because I was too scared to look at Daniel. He was obviously in a grouchy mood and I knew better than to piss him off with too many questions.

We're not going home tomorrow,” Daniel interjected anyway, pointing his finger to himself and to Pablo and then to me, “you are.”

“Oh.” I didn't know if that made me feel happy or upset, but I kept on my best pokerface.

“Because you can't just let someone shoot at you and then get away with it,” Guillermo said, joining the conversation. “And you, beautiful Araceli,” I glared at this, “in the midsts of all this getting revenge stuff, are like deadweight.”

“I am not deadweight!”

“Says the one who was literally doing nothing in her captors arms,” he said, rolling his eyes. “Oh, Daniel. Daniel, please come help me. Daniel.”

“I don't even sound like that,” I huffed, trying not to laugh from the extremely high voice Guillermo put on to imitate me.

“She's right. It's more like "Oh, Daniel. Daniel come save me.” Pablo dropped his voice an octave and I couldn't help staring at him in shock as all the guys started laughing.

“You asshole,” I said, about to attack him, but Guillermo wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled back onto the sofa. Struggling at his side, I don't let Pablo have the last laugh. “You want to laugh, huh? How about we talk about Big Breasted Betty? ”

I smirked as he immediately stopped laughing to scowl at me. “You shut up.”

“Oh we're not talking anymore?”