Epilogue

HER

I'm leaving all this advice to you so you can learn from my mistakes. All the things that my mother couldn't teach me, I will teach you, my love.

***

EPILOGUE

*****

I WOKE UP in the middle of the night, sweat drenching my sheets as I slowly sat up. I was having a bad dream, but the pain coming from my stomach was much worse.

I didn't know how to relieve it - what to do about it. Maybe if I just lied down and slept it off...

I lay back down onto the comfy mattress of my bed, turning onto my side and closing my eyes to fall asleep. The minutes passed by and even though the pain didn't return, I couldn't seem to fall back asleep again.

I sighed and without a second thought, got out of my bed. I crept through the halls of my new apartment, not wanting to wake Morgan up as she was asleep in the other room. She was the one who had insisted on spending the first night with me so I didn't feel lonely.

I thought I was fine since I didn't really get scared of being alone anymore, but after the searing pain from my stomach hit me again, I realised that I wasn't.

I rummaged through the cupboard, looking for my packet of green tea but finding out that I hadn't unpacked it yet. I cursed under my breath and made my way out of the kitchen, wanting to get to the box where I knew it would be, but the pain that shot through md crippled me to the core.

It lasted minutes, leaving me clutching the counter painfully as I gritted my teeth and rocked back and forth. Confusion clouded my mind, but I didn't voice it. I couldn't voice it. I knew if I opened my mouth, nothing except a scream of pain would come out.

I didn't know why this was happening now. I was only thirty-six weeks gone and the false contractions had never been this bad.

I slowly waddled my way towards the bathroom, deciding that a warm bath would soothe me. I ran the tap, stripping out of my clothes as I waited for it to fill up before sinking into the bathtub.

The cramps seemed to have calmed down and I let out a relieved sigh before looking down at my baby bump. The stretch marks were bad and sometimes made me feel self-conscious, but most of the time, I didn't really care. They kind of reminded me of the stripes on a tiger's coat.

My stomach was protruding so far out I couldn't see my toes without bending. I couldn't even see my belly button. I had to place a hand over it just to make sure it was there.

I felt a kick in my stomach and raised a hand to rub the area when the same pain had returned, taking me by surprise. I let out a pained scream, but quickly muffled it and bit my hand instead.

It continued on for longer than a couple minutes. For a second I stopped breathing and I was sure I blacked out before coming back to my senses. I tried to get out of the tub, but another contraction had hit and there was no way I could fight against it. I found myself pushing naturally, squealing painfully at the sensation. I held the rim of the bathtub as I pushed but quickly brought my hand between my legs to find out what was going on.

My heart stopped for a tense second at the feeling of something else's legs coming out of me. Or more rather, someone else.

I was in labour and everything was going sourly wrong. I should have called out for Morgan in that moment, but another contraction had hit and I threw my head back as I tried my best to push as hard as I could.