Chapter LIV

THE FLIGHT

Sometimes things don't work out and that's fine, sweetheart.

***

WARNING: Mentions of triggering topics such as suicide.

CHAPTER LIV

*****

I HAVE A sister,” Daniel began, taking us both by surprise as he spoke for the first time that night without being prompted to. “She's fourteen. Her name is Emma. And she attempted to take her own life last year.”

I looked down at my hands, feeling guilty and ashamed of myself. The last thing I wanted to do was make him relive a traumatic event.

“I'm not saying this to make you feel guilty,” he said, not looking at me from the passenger seat. “I'm saying it so you don't think I have a different motive.”

“I don't,” I said numbly.

“Good.”

No one else said a word until we reached a large apartment complex. A part of me was happy because if something were to happen, at least I wouldn't be alone and I would be able to call for help.

But then who would help a scantily-clad black girl?

Gotta love America.

No one stepped out of the car for a beat and I looked between Pablo and Daniel with worry. My heart thudded louder in my chest as they just stared blankly out the windshield.

What if they were going to kill me? What if they were going to rape me? Why did I go along with them? I was such an idiot!

Before I could open the door and go sprinting down the road, Pablo spoke up.

“Daniel's car is parked here so he'll be leaving now.”

I, surprisingly, didn't mind as much. I only trusted Daniel more because he was closer to me in age. In reality, Pablo was much kinder and warmer with me.

“Okay.”

Daniel turned to me in that moment and his eyes met mine, freezing me in my spot as I stared back at him.

“Pablo's going to be watching you,” he said, making frown.

“I won't try to kill myself again.”

There was another second of silence before he spoke up. “Actions speak louder than words.” He then sighed and shook his head before looking at me again. “Look, I don't know what your reasons were for trying to—”

“My mom kicked me out,” I found myself saying. I didn't know if they cared and I didn't want to know because what I was carrying on my shoulders was too heavy for me to handle. “And my dad disappeared ages ago. I have nobody that cares for me, nobody to—” I cut myself off and sighed. “Nobody cares if I die. I'm just a waste of space.”

The tension that hung in the air was heavy and my ears rang with the silence of the both of them. Suddenly, I felt Daniel take my hand in his, his warm palms warming up my cold ones.

“I care.”

I sighed and looked up to meet his eyes. “No, you don't.”

“I do.” I was about to argue again when he spoke again. “If I didn't care, would I have jumped into the pool to save you?” I couldn't say anything back because he had made a massive point. “Or would we be here right now?”