Chapter LXVII

THE BABY

Kindness is never done to be repaid, babe.

***

CHAPTER LXVII

*****

IT WAS FORMED.

It was very formed. With a head and arms and shoulders and legs. It was large in the screen, but I knew it was much smaller inside me. It was curled up like I sometimes did in bed with it's hands to it's face.

Stop referring to it as it.

"Looking at the image, I can roughly say that's a thirteen-fourteen week old fetus," she said, smiling at the image.

I was still in shock. It felt like all my foundations were shaking. Before now, I felt like there was nothing else to live for; like I had lost everything, but I hadn't. I still had my baby.

They lied to me and told me he was dead, but he wasn't. He stuck with me.

I wasn't a bad mother.

Not yet anyway.

"We'll be able to figure out your due date after a proper consultation. Have you had an antenatal appointment yet?"

"No."

I wasn't really listening to what she was saying. The only thing I could focus on was the little baby on the screen; the little baby that had decided to stick with me.

Tears pricked at my eyes, but I held them in because I didn't want to cry in front of her. I wasn't sad; I was immensely happy. No way did I think I was mature enough or in anyway able to take care of a child, but I was ready to learn.

I thought that I had lost something that I once had, but I didn't. Someone had faith in.

I had the immense urge to rub my stomach gently, but the gel was still on it and I didn't want to get my hands icky.

"We can set up an appointment for you later. We might need to send you to a different location though because we just squeezed this appointment in." The doctor continued talking, but I couldn't hear a word she said as I was lost in my own world. I think she briefly mentioned something about the fetus being the size of a lemon.

Now I was craving lemonade.

Soon the appointment ended and she put my name down for another proper one in a few days before calling for a nurse to help bring me up.

I wanted to walk up on my own without the wheelchair, but then I remembered the crowd that we had to get through and I decided against it.

A male nurse came this time. He smiled even though he looked tired and helped me get into the wheelchair. He didn't talk much, but the silence was comfortable. For some reason, I had taken a liking to him and I didn't know why.

It was only after I took a second look at him, noticing his curly, brown hair and dark brown eyes did the dread and realisation seep into me.

He looked just like Daniel. That's why I liked him.

I didn't have the mental energy to scold myself for my uncontrollable feelings towards the male nurse, so I only closed my eyes and drifted away.

I braced myself for the crowded area, but felt confusion fall onto me when we had safely made it into the lift without meeting a crowd in sight.

"Janet said not to go through the common area. This way was longer but with less people," the nurse said, making me whip around to look at him as he smiled at me. "You looked confused."