Chapter LXIX

THE BAD NEWS

Every dark cloud has its silver lining, sweetheart.

***

CHAPTER LXIX

*****

THE DOCTOR KEPT on a passive face all throughout the check up. It scared me because she usually smiled a lot, but there wasn't a smile in sight this time.

A part of me hoped that it had something to do with a bad mood and not me or my baby.

I was about to find out that that was all wrong when she opened my file and told me to sit down in the chair opposite hers.

“Now, I need you to help me take care of you. We need to keep close eye on your condition and that means you contacting and letting us know if something goes wrong or if you have any worries. We'll need to have bí-weekly appointments to make sure that you and the baby are healthy because your pregnancy is high-risk.”

My heart stopped beating in my chest and I stared at her, hoping that she would continue without me having to speak.

What does that mean? Was my baby okay?

“What... What does that mean?” I asked, staring at her to try and guage her reaction. She didn't seem particularly worried - or as worried as I seemed.

“It means that there's a higher chance of you or the baby developing life threatening complications during labour. Many high-risk pregnancy end up fine especially with regular check-ups and plenty of rest, so really the only thing you have to focus on is keeping yourself safe and healthy.”

“Wait, so what's wrong? How is my pregnancy high-risk? Did u do something wrong or...?”

“You did absolutely nothing wrong. Its just, after a more thorough check up, we've come to learn that your underweight,” she said, making my heart break. So it was my fault after all. “And after the diagnosis from your psychological assessment, we've come to learn that the stress from the trauma you're facing may impact the baby without proper medical care.”

“...Trauma?”

“Your psychologist will speak to you about it more later,” she said, dismissing my question. “Most of these concerns can be simply solved by keeping a balanced and healthy diet, getting plenty of rest and water, gaining a healthy amount of weight and not participating over-strenuous activities.”

“Oh.”

“You don't have to worry about it,” she said, placing her hand over mine. “Like I said, you can have a completely normal and healthy pregnancy and it's nothing to worry about. We just want to keep a close eye on you to make sure that everything goes smoothly during labour.”

I nodded, but I wasn't really hearing anything she was saying. A part of me felt like I was letting my baby down. I was it's only lifeline and it was probably in me, wishing for another.

“You're still allowed to work, but if you standing for over four hours at your job, we recommend switching to a desk job instead.”

Great, I huffed in my head. No I can't even work. What's the point?

The doctor continued talking before ending our session by giving me a sticky note with the name of some prenatal vitamins I should take once I was discharged.

Like the last time, the same male nurse had come in to take me to my room. He smiled once he set eyes on me and I returned it, finding his happy mood infectious. He propped out his elbow, letting me link arms with him before he gently guided me out of the room, not seeming to be affected by my dragging steps.