Chapter LXVI

THE STRANGER

Not every fight is one worth picking, babe.

***

CHAPTER LXVI

*****

“Hello! This is Morgan speaking!”

I froze.

What should I say? What should I do? Something was actually going right for me for the first time and I had no idea how to handle the situation.

“Hello?”

I didn't notice that I was falling until a nurse had caught me in his arms mid fall and helped me back to my feet. Another nurse quickly took over the call and started speaking on my behalf while the male nurse walked me to the nearest sofa to take a seat.

“Hello! Sorry to bother you, we've got a patient in our care requesting to see you. Her name is Araceli Cruz and she has no one else to come for her.” The nurse was quiet and wrapped the cord of the phone around her finger as she tapped her foot against the floor. “Yes, of course. She's fine. She's at Bridgend Hospital, East Street... Yes, of course. We'll inform her. Bye.”

The nurse turned back to look at me and with a wide smile told me something that made my heart pound with joy in my chest. “Ms. Smith will be here to see you in an hour.”

My face broke into a large smile. “Really?”

“Really! How about we get you cleaned up and get some food into you before she arrives?”

I nodded enthusiastically, quickly getting to my feet before realising why exactly I was sitting again. The male nurse, who was sitting beside me, caught me before I could fall and helped me walk to my room as the other nurse held my other hand.

I took a bath after insisting that I was strong enough to wash myself. They still watched me from the hospital room just to make sure I didn't hurt myself. After my shower and brushing my teeth, I pulled on a fresh hospital gown before stepping out.

Waiting for me on the table beside my bed was a steaming plate of breaded chicken, potatoes, asparagus and carrots along with a tub of vanilla ice cream and strawberry jello.

I dug in immediately, feeling my stomach growl inside me as the smell of the food wafted into my nose. The nurse left a bunch of papers on the bed and left me alone to eat my food, making me glance around the room.

I didn't really like being alone.

I got halfway through the meal before I decided that I couldn't have another spoon. I still forced myself to eat the ice cream and the jelly because... Well because it was ice cream and jelly.

There was never a reason to not eat ice cream and jelly.

The nurse had come back a few minutes after I had put down the empty ice cream tub with a slightly smaller tray in her hands. She shifted the one with my half eaten food out of the way and put it down, letting me see the different cup sizes with different pills in them.

“I know they're a lot,” she said, smiling sympathetically at me. “But it's to make sure you recover as soon as you can. Plus, most of them are just supplements.” She pointed to one cup with red and white pills in them. “That's some antibiotics to help clear your chest infection. It's nothing too serious, but it's best to be at your top health in your condition.”

I nodded, understanding her and let her continue.

“These ones are just plain painkillers. When you were brought here, you had a high fever and at some point, you complained about pain so we put it in your IV.” She then gestured to three other cups with colourful pills in them. “These are vitamin supplements because you're deficient. That can make you easily susceptible to many diseases.”